The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have fishers and otters just wondering if we have martins to.never heard of any body seeing them?

·
Registered
19,637 Posts
I know a guy that hunts up in Galeton, Potter County and he tried to tell me that the Pine Martins were put up there by the Loging Industry and the PGC to cut back on the porkies that were eating young timber. He said they did so well they also attack fawns at birth cutting back on the deer herd up that way.
Don't know what they smoke up at his place but I never believed it for a second.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't think martins could kill and eat porkys and fawns thier small about the size of mink.fishers will kill and eat porkys and fawns thier alot bigger compared to a martin.
Birch812 said:
I know a guy that hunts up in Galeton, Potter County and he tried to tell me that the Pine Martins were put up there by the Loging Industry and the PGC to cut back on the porkies that were eating young timber. He said they did so well they also attack fawns at birth cutting back on the deer herd up that way.
Don't know what they smoke up at his place but I never believed it for a second.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats web site also said Pa has hooded seals in the far most southeastern corner of pa LOL let me now if anybody see one haha.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You Guys need to reread the info provided . They show the known distribution in Yellow. The Green is where they have taken specimins for the Museum . Regards to the Badger and Hooded Seals , read what they say before you LOL about it. Same for Deer. It shows that they are found Statewide. They have only taken research specimins from the Green areas. I saw a Badger hit on I80 near the Ohio line 20 years ago. These critters dont have a clue where tyhe state lines are. Remember a couple years ago when the Manatee was in the Delaware Bay?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Bulldog73 said:
thats web site also said Pa has hooded seals in the far most southeastern corner of pa LOL let me now if anybody see one haha.
bulldog at the south east cornre of pa is the deleware bay
& the brackish water off philidelpha receves many strange
marine visitors that make the 6 oclock news out of philidelpha seals are somewhat common "dont know if there hooded " & there have even been balouga whales lost in the tidal waters of the deleware river so i gotta say i have seen wild seals in Pa.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A good friend of mine was an avid foxhound man... His hounds holed a badger near Canonsburg, Pa.. He always dug out the foxes his hounds holes up... Needless to say he was astounded by that dig... This was probably in the 40's when this happened.. He showed me the newspaper articles about it showing him with the badger. He is long since passed on and I'm not sure if his kids kept those clippings but I sure should have copied em as proof... He said some speculated that it was an escapped pet ?? Who knows how it got there. He said it was mounted and was told it was going to a museum in WV, he was never able to verify that.. I'm guessing it was taken from him by Game Officials back then.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Bulldog73 said:

dont know if they are hooded, but we get seals, whales, dolphins and a manatee recently. all in the delaware.

·
Registered
904 Posts
who in their right mind would keep a badger as a pet?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts