The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a Remington model 7600 pump in a 7mm Mag caliber. I've never seen that rifle in a 7mm Mag caliber. Is there anything in a 7mm Mag that is a similar gun?

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Question of the century...If Browning can do it, why hasn't Remington been able to do it with the most popular pump in history?...Imagine the market for something like this!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Your fantasy gun does exist but at a fantasy price. Check out Krieghoffs new pump. It comes in 16 calibers including 7mm,300,338 mags also 375 and 416 ruger. Barrels can be swapped. I dont know exact price but rather than buying a new car you might want this.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
In my humble opinion I think that there really wouldn't be much of a nitch for that type of gun. If you want one I do have a suggestion and it will be the Remington that you want. Get a 7600 chambered in .280 Remington and have that barrel rechambered to .280 Ackley Improved. It wil give you the ballistics of the 7mm magnum out of that pump. My only thoughts would be to check and see if the pump gun could actually take the pressures generated by the Ackley Improved. It would chamber in the gun and it would function from the existing magazines too. Now the other issue that I foresee is that Nosler Custom and some other semi-custom ammunition makers are the only ones that make factory ammunition for the gun. You would shoot those or have to reload. Just some thoughts. I know what it's like to have something off the wall that they don't make. Go for it!!

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
It might make to much sence for them to do. I think they have done some of the dombest things on caliber selection. How about when farris pendall and lou palmasono developed the ppc they took it to remington thought it would be a great caliber for there 40x, they turned them down.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I would write to Remington and ask them to consider it in the future. I know they have made special runs of 35 whelen in the 7600 maybe they would do one in 7mm mag. I would buy one if they did.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i dont think the action will take the pressure mags put out....but thats just my guess...id have to look at numbers to see if that even holds water...

browning can do it..but its a different rifle...those guns arent your 760(0)s..

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont know much about the 280 caliber. Basically I want a cannon tat I can shoot deer and bear with, and I like really big holes. I bought a Remington 770 in 7mm Mag last year and I shot a couple deer with it. I liked the damage it made for me. The rifle and action itself I dont care for however. Its a pretty cheap gun, and you get what you pay for. I have always loved the 7600 pumps and I have shot them in 06 and 308 before. I want a caliber that is capable in the brush, has massive knock down power, and is capable to shoot 200 yards anytime accurately.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I don't think the 7600 action would handle the magnum pressures. I'm not sure if they could open the bolt face that far either.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you want a gun capable in the brush,has massive knockdown power, and is capable to shoot 200yds anytime the answer is 30-06. Just as devastating within 200yds as a 7mm.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The 7600 in 280 would be very close. Had a BPR in 7 mag. and sold it. I'm not too impressed with the 7 mag and IMO the 280 can do just about the same jobs. I will concede the 7 mag handles the 175 gr. bullets better, but if I'm going to go with a heavier bullet I'd just use a 30 cal.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
if thats what you want look at the 35 whelen!!! the 7mag cant catch it till they get beyond 200+yds in terms of energy!

i shot 225gr accubonds...i love them..the shock is unreal..penetration is amazing..its a super hard hitter..the accubonds leave IMO a perfect hole in a deer..even in such a large caliber/heavy bullet..

the mags are IMO only good for longer range stuff..thats where they shine..that flatter trajectory..but, if you dont shoot long range, there are IMO better choices..heavier hitters..bigger calibers..

just my thoughts...but my shots average maybe 35 or 40yds i bet...had a couple a few feet and a few times ive had 100 or so yard shots..but most are 25-50yds away..

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Get the 7600 in .280 and buy Hornady Superformance 140 grain ammo for it . You now have your pump spitting bullets @ 3100fps, problem solved,

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
that deer at 250 yards wont know the vel. difference from 280 to 7 mag. i wouldnt think the action couldn't handle it plus something with the rails on a pump comes to mind. I have faith that Wild Bill can give us some tech info on the mechanics of the pump. I dont own one nor allow one in my house.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
This would be my last huntin gun other then varmint guns... Rem.Mod. CDL SF (stainless fluted

This would be my last Huntin gun, other then varmint guns. Rem. Mod. CDL SF (fluted stainless) Classic wood And rose forend tip.... What to chamber it in is the big question??? Already have .270 and 300RUM that's why what to chamber is tough for No. Am. game...later

·
Registered
638 Posts
lol what extra presure? 7mag-52,000 cup, 270 win-54,000 cup,the lowly 308 win.-52,000 cup
mauser06 said:
i dont think the action will take the pressure mags put out....but thats just my guess...id have to look at numbers to see if that even holds water...

browning can do it..but its a different rifle...those guns arent your 760(0)s..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts