The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to go run my dog next week, most likely on Tuesday since I'm off that day. I did some research on a spot about 1/2 hr away from me. Anyone up for running dogs in 2C next week?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get to go yesterday. Went Monday for a couple hours. The rabbits were there but the dog had lots of problems tracking. Not sure if the ground was dry or what. It was frosted over when I first got there, but even as the sun burnt the frost off things didn't get much better. There's always next week if I manage to get a deer with the flintlock in the first couple days.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I think Monday must have been a bad scenting day. My buddy said his squirrel dog was acting silly too.

I was down near you yesterday picking up the pup. I was impressed with all of the nice looking rabbit cover visible from the road.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cover's there, it just seems like the rabbits aren't there. My dad thinks it's some kind of disease since there are rabbits all over the place in spring and summer, then in late fall, poof! No more rabbits. Lots of people say predators, birds of prey, etc. The fact is, there should be rabbits in the cover around here, just never seems like there is. I mean, three or four rabbits up just about every time I go, but some of our cover ought to, IMO, hold WAY more rabbits than that. At any rate, after I manage to get a deer with my flintlock I'll be back at it again, so if anyone wants to run let me know and maybe we can try to find a few bunnies!

BTW, where did you get your pup? I am considering another dog soon so I'm trying to find people selling beagles within an hour or so drive from me. Not particularly picky about papers or no papers TBH, just looking for a good dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts