The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
50% dirt holes this time of year here. 1 at most locations at least.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Tried a few hay sets this year, The Mule deer love them, they eat all the hay every time.LOL

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yes straw, that's what I tell em. k9s are nice and fluffy.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sorry I meant straw, but here its all the same, straw is called wheat hay and it is fed to cows and horses the same as you would Timothy and alfalfa and the deer eat every bit of it in the snow.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There should be how to make a dirthole sticky on the top, Instead there's a how to make a hay set sticky, which is what most new people see. Lots of hay set posts lately

·
Registered
738 Posts
DIRTHOLE IS THE ONLY SET I USE as it states in the FFG artical about Phil Brown the dirthole is the best so why would i use anything but a dirt hole LOL

·
Banned
313 Posts
montana bound said:
Tried a few hay sets this year, The Mule deer love them, they eat all the hay every time.LOL
Haha you didn't really use true hay in a hay set did you lol Anywhere there are any herbivores near by would eat it in hours especially in the snow. You use straw in hay sets guess they should really be called straw sets. I have never seen deer eat straw before but maybe mule deer do. I have had straw bells next to my kennels and deer walk by them daily and never had one eat it even in the dead of winter. They sure do a number on my gardens and my feeders tho.

·
Registered
999 Posts
GTR_Beagles said:
montana bound said:
Haha you didn't really use true hay in a hay set did you lol Anywhere there are any herbivores near by would eat it in hours especially in the snow. You use straw in hay sets guess they should really be called straw sets. I have never seen deer eat straw before but maybe mule deer do. I have had straw bells next to my kennels and deer walk by them daily and never had one eat it even in the dead of winter. They sure do a number on my gardens and my feeders tho.
It was straw, they feed the straw to the cows out here, the Mule deer eat everything and anything.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I use plenty of dirtholes. You can see them if you bring a shovel and help me dig down through the snow to find them...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts