The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of #2 dukes that i have a real hard time setting, I have even stepped on the springs to get maxium openess but i still have to push like a mother on the dog to get it under the pan. I have the pans nightlatched too. I have some old 1 1/2's and brand new # 3's that are all a breeze to set. Is there something i can do to make this easier? thank you

·
Registered
325 Posts
put a slight downward bend in the dog. You may have to re-level the pan, but the bend should help with your issue.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TrapperRon2 said:
Is the dog on right side up?
i will have to check that. Im a novice at this but i have been catching alot of coon in these #2's. and there a pain to reset.. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Squeeze the slop in the dog, this does two things, it creates consistancy and it will bow where your dog links on your frame and give you alittle height on your dog. Just crimp it with channel locks, don't go to far or the dog won't be free

·
Registered
197 Posts
Make sure the "u" shaped pin that holds your spring levers and goes through your springs, is pushed in far enough that your jaw isn't laying on the "u" shaped pin. I had that problem with some of my 1.75 dukes.

·
Registered
907 Posts
SMS said:
Make sure the "u" shaped pin that holds your spring levers and goes through your springs, is pushed in far enough that your jaw isn't laying on the "u" shaped pin. I had that problem with some of my 1.75 dukes.
+1 only time I had trouble setting them was fixed by what SMS stated.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i got 4 dozen 1.75's about6 years ago that had the setting problem..jaw wasnt against the spring pin either..i had to put a slight bend in the dog to get them to set....that was the only way they would set unless you ground down the jaw because the jaw was bottoming out on the frame...

·
Registered
295 Posts
check the frame at the dog if u bent it back to adjust the pan u might of angeled it back to far thats what i did. i had to shorten my dog and bend the frame almost at a 90 then they were fine to set.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cbowers said:
check the frame at the dog if u bent it back to adjust the pan u might of angeled it back to far thats what i did. i had to shorten my dog and bend the frame almost at a 90 then they were fine to set.
That thought has crossed my mind.. Everything else looks good, this is probably what im going to have to do. thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts