The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some food for thought. ALL antlerless tags should be awarded to junior hunters.
Reasons being:
1) They're hunting with an adult and generally wait for the right shot intead of flailing away at running deer that leave legless does for coyote food.
2) They actually get excited about harvesting a doe. When's the last time you jumped up and down and high fived over killing a doe? Really?

If you really want the meat, here's your incentive to take a junior or a mentor out hunting. Have them get you one!

No, you or your family won't starve.

I know HPA doesn't like people expressing an opinion that is radical or away from the status quo.

This should get good!

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
coltsauer said:
2) They actually get excited about harvesting a doe. When's the last time you jumped up and down and high fived over killing a doe? Really?
Seeing as doe is all I've ever shot I get excited about every single one.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
I have no problem with it myself. I'll still get to eat some it if my kid gets it right ?

My wife might not like it, seems like with just her 3 days to hunt a year it is all she gets shooting at, but she wants bucks anyway but still gets excited on does.

But I never would push for it or support it overall, NEVER...Hunters without kids hunting in their family might not like it, nor should they!! Not all hunt just to jump up and down out there ya know...I like to think about the whole rank of hunters on this stuff, not just me and mine.

Don't under estimate kids wants either. My son got a buck in archery and that was it for him, he simply had no desire to take a doe with a rifle at 14, I had to egg him to do it last year at 13 cause we needed to take one still..."let Mom do it" he said, I'll stay home with the kids so she can do it she loves it.

Add anyone 79 and over too...
, albino doe only.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I've shot 32 deer in the last twenty five years. I still get very excited over taking a nice doe. After all, antlers taste rather bland.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Why not throw in DMAPS too while your at it.

I jump up and down and high five even after shooting a squirrel, crow, coyote, porcupine, groundhog, etc.?

Thought that's what hunting is all about?

And as far as the legless does? How many bowhunters are flailing away enough arrows at running deer?

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Nope! We like jerky, kolbassi, bologna, hot sticks, roast and backstraps wayyyyyyyy to much! My son and I shoot enough to feed the family of six all year!

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Actually after thinking about it some more, if PA would make shooting Doe illegal for Adult hunters that would be enough to push me out of this state altogether. I like taking a nice big fat Doe. I've also shot three doe antelope out west and although my last Moose hunt cost me $4500 I shot a Cow Moose on the third day and was happy. I also had a cow Elk tag for Colorado in '08 but an injury kept me from being able to use it. I have no qualms about shooting me some antlerless and I celebrate every one.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i like venison. that rule would put my family out of doe hunting. IMO its almost as hard to get a doe, they are normally in groups and alerting one and they vanish

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
*Moose said:
Actually after thinking about it some more, if PA would make shooting Doe illegal for Adult hunters that would be enough to push me out of this state altogether.
Easy Mike! Some folks may support it for just that reason!
J/K

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
PADingo said:
*Moose said:
Actually after thinking about it some more, if PA would make shooting Doe illegal for Adult hunters that would be enough to push me out of this state altogether.
Easy Mike! Some folks may support it for just that reason!
J/K
Some may indeed!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I tasted that food for thought, couldn't keep it down.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You need to find a hobby because all your doing is thinking up stupid ideas to get a bunch of people all jacked up on here, its not what this place is for. If you don't want to get a doe tag or shoot one then don't, its more for me. I think i will get a few extra tags next year just to take up your slack, thanks i love venison.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
coltsauer said:
Here's some food for thought. ALL antlerless tags should be awarded to junior hunters.
Reasons being:
1) They're hunting with an adult and generally wait for the right shot intead of flailing away at running deer that leave legless does for coyote food.

If you really want the meat, here's your incentive to take a junior or a mentor out hunting. Have them get you one!

No, you or your family won't starve.

I know HPA doesn't like people expressing an opinion that is radical or away from the status quo.

This should get good!
Seriously? That's half the problem with kids these days..everything gets handed to them. If you are just going to post stuff to stir the pot, find another site.

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
John S said:
I tasted that food for thought, couldn't keep it down.
I think the KR post may have started the process on that....just sayin.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Tell you what I would be in favor of. A doe license to every under age 16 hunter when they pass there hunter safety course. The license would be good for any WMU and during any deer season.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts