The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I'm asking is almost every guy who's posted about getting their DMAP tags says "I got 2", as if it were expected. Then the other posts complain about them selling out already. So, do you think they are too cheap to come by? If they cost $25 would you still buy 2?

·
Super Moderator
14,387 Posts
They are the management tool used, in the case of DMAP by landowners, to keep the deer populations at levels where they aren't creating excessive damage to the property. Why would you want to make it more difficult for hunters to be the solution by pricing them out of the game?

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
No I don't think there so dang cheap! I bought two @ $35.00 a pop being a NR. Of course my package of Nr license, 2 dmap tags, muzzy, archery, bobcat, and fur cost me around 312.00. Did not get bear yet or regular doe of course but if I do I will be pushing 400.00. And they actually want to double non resident license after I pay this now.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
R. S. B. said:
They are the management tool used, in the case of DMAP by landowners, to keep the deer populations at levels where they aren't creating excessive damage to the property. Why would you want to make it more difficult for hunters to be the solution by pricing them out of the game?

Dick Bodenhorn
Well stated and my sentiment exactly.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Sojourner66 said:
The reason I'm asking is almost every guy who's posted about getting their DMAP tags says "I got 2", as if it were expected. Then the other posts complain about them selling out already. So, do you think they are too cheap to come by? If they cost $25 would you still buy 2?
IIRC, the first fee increase proposed by the PGC included the regular doe tag going to $15. DMAP would have followed...$20? $25?

You're not far off from what the PGC originally wanted.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
outofstater said:
No I don't think there so dang cheap! I bought two @ $35.00 a pop being a NR. Of course my package of Nr license, 2 dmap tags, muzzy, archery, bobcat, and fur cost me around 312.00. Did not get bear yet or regular doe of course but if I do I will be pushing 400.00. And they actually want to double non resident license after I pay this now.
That is quite a bit of hunting opportunity for $400 - esp a non-resident..

IMO - you are getting a deal.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The price is the price. As with anything, if you are comfortable with the price of a given item....buy away...if not.....don't buy it.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
R. S. B. said:

Dick Bodenhorn
Not denying that fact, but some DMAP areas are highly sought after, and limited, and I'm seeing guys grab two, their 2 sons grab 2, their uncle grabs 2. It hasn't affected me in any way so I don't care, just wondering how some felt about it.

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
Let's be real here. In today's world, $6 for anything and $10 for a DMAP is downright cheap. A doe license should be at least $10 and a DMAP should be $20. Better yet, DMAP should be available in rounds like the doe licenses with a limit of 1 per round. There are people who buy up 2 DMAP at a clip, sometimes just to prevent other's from getting them.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It just depends on what a certain individual considers cheap. I myself don't care if the doe tags went up to $15 and dmaps $20. I would still buy my doe license and two dmaps. I love to hunt and its a once a year expense. I hunt everyday though, so, for a guy that only gets to hunt a few times a year I can understand why an increase in price may be a little upsetting.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
outofstater said:
How much is a nonresident license to hunt all that in any state in the Midwest?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
GermanHillHunter said:
It just depends on what a certain individual considers cheap. I myself don't care if the doe tags went up to $15 and dmaps $20. I would still buy my doe license and two dmaps. I love to hunt and its a once a year expense. I hunt everyday though, so, for a guy that only gets to hunt a few times a year I can understand why an increase in price may be a little upsetting.
This is along the lines of my thought as well. I hunt a lot, and am blessed to do so. Compared to other hobbies, hunting is fairly cheap for the amount of enjoyment I get from it.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
hacimsaalk said:
GermanHillHunter said:
This is along the lines of my thought as well. I hunt a lot, and am blessed to do so. Compared to other hobbies, hunting is fairly cheap for the amount of enjoyment I get from it.
I think both the resident Antlerless, and the DMAP tag are priced too low. I don't believe that raising the DMAP to $25 would result with that program being placed in jeopardy.

If an area should not sell out the DMAP allotment, IMO it would indicate it shouldn't have been DMAPed rather than it being a case of the tag cost being too high.

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
I hunt several DMAP areas where you have to call the Timber company to get them.I started calling at 8:00am on 6-20 and they were all almost gone.The one area is a pretty big area owned by Seneca resource.I don't think we've ever hunted it one time without at least getting an opportunity to kill a doe if we wanted to at the time but I've yet to run into more than 1 hunter during rifle season.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
dce said:
I hunt several DMAP areas where you have to call the Timber company to get them.I started calling at 8:00am on 6-20 and they were all almost gone.The one area is a pretty big area owned by Seneca resource.I don't think we've ever hunted it one time without at least getting an opportunity to kill a doe if we wanted to at the time but I've yet to run into more than 1 hunter during rifle season.
I'd say it's probably like anything else where 30% of the hunters kill 80% of the deer (loose math and in no way garnered from any research).

·
Registered
477 Posts
It [censored] for you guys up there. Down here, we get 6 tags every year (2 buck, 4 doe), then you can go to Walmart and buy 2 more doe tags for $5. Fill those, buy 2 more... And so on and so forth. We can't keep our deer population under control

1 - 20 of 68 Posts