The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

161 - 180 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
18,909 Posts
you two need a semi load of popcorn :)

"fixing" the doe tag app process is like "fixing" this site, notivce the new "card view" change :) what was wrong with the old view..lol, fixing what isnt broke isnt always good.

Reactions: Pennsyborn

·
Registered
20,775 Posts
It doesn't need fixed. It needs modernized, simplified, streamlined and made fair. My 78 F-150 runs and drives, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Seems kind of like a pain, to be honest, I got my tag this year, was debating on buying more than one but decided to wait. I wasn't in town on the first mail-in date, almost eliminating my chances of getting one, luckily I was still able to get one, although I haven't used it yet 😂 If it were online or over the counter from the start it would simplify things and if the PGC is worried about people not getting one from all of the purchases online, they can make a 1 tag limit until a certain date or something, then make it first come first serve. Just my opinion, it was really nice being able to go to IL and buy tags the day before my hunt.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
HEY...lets do it all by smart phone. that will force all of us dinosauers to get one which will give a boost to the cell phone companies $$$. i mean some of those things cost what...a grand. then supporting cell phone plans with internet access which will be needed to buy your license on line with the smart phone could run 200.00 or more per month for the family plan.
YEP....lets punish our seniors some more :eek:
Well, most of you are dying soon anyway so... 😉

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
The solution is pretty simple then. Send to one of the more efficient County Treasurers instead of one who doesn't take it serious.

Dick Bodenhorn
Oh, so does the PGC provide a list of the most efficient CTs to compare? Or do newer hunters just have to go thru trial and error to find which counties are better? Anyone that thinks this is the best system available needs is not very aware.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Complicated? How is it complicated? Fill out the blocks with the info it asks for, stamp it, sign it and mail it. I don't see that as complicated. You want complicated try figureing out what duck you can legally shoot and when and where you can shoot it. As for outdated, why change it just because its old school? It works, its fair, any body can do it. I don't understand changing things just because there is a new way. New don't always mean better, most times it doesn't.
Seriously? You fill out an application, put in a specially required envelope with a check or money order filled out too, then you look up the correct address of thr CT you want to send to and fill out sections I and II of the envelope. You also then put a stamp on the inside of the envelope before sealing it and then another stamp on the outside of the envelope. Failure to complete any of these steps can result in your application being rejected or landing in a "dead letter" file.

Perhaps not overly complicated but certainly cumbersome compared to other successful systems widely available.

·
Registered
18,909 Posts
Reactions: fishr64

·
Registered
18,909 Posts
people can file their own tax reurns but cant get the hang of applying for a doe license...LOL

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
people can file their own tax reurns but cant get the hang of applying for a doe license...LOL
Most everyone I know files ONLINE without a problem (because it's easier and more efficient) but somehow it would a disaster to have the doe tag system go this route? LOL

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Starting to wonder if we have a lot of USPS worker and CT families around here....

Can't help but wonder if the same people claiming the mail-in, CT issued only system is the best we can do would be willing to go back to mailing in checks and order forms from a catalog for their shopping, drive to the pharmacy and wait 30 minutes to refill a prescription, have SSI, pension, or payroll checks mailed to them then drive them to the bank, or write letters to the editor of a hunting rag magazine to express thoughts/share stories instead of posting here.... The technophobia is rather select and inconsistent.

If post here, you can handle an online tag process.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We should go back to bag phones or maybe even dial up. That always worked fine. That system always worked. Hey, even the old party lines worked.
Then again, what do we need jet airplanes for? The old propeller jobs got us where we wanted to go.
And while were at it, let's all drive stick shift cars. They were certainly less complicated than the automatics.
I like going back to the checkout lines too. Then I could waste a half hour waiting for the girls to ring up each individual item on the cash register by pushing buttons. That put a lot of people to work even if it was prone to mistakes.What do we need that bar code stuff for?
Like another post said, let's go back to 9 to 3 banking hours, five days a week and get your paycheck on Friday after the bank closes. Yeah, the good old days sure were great. I especially liked changing from summer to winter snow tires or putting chains on to go out and get a loaf of bread before the store closed. Yeah, those were the days.

·
Super Moderator
27,445 Posts
Can't help but wonder if the same people claiming the mail-in, CT issued only system is the best we can do
I don't think anyone is saying the current system is the best system. At least I'm not. Are there more efficient methods available? Absolutely. Should we be looking into switching to one of those systems? Absolutely. Is the current system so hard to figure out and use? Absolutely not.
In a comparative way, sure there are more technically efficient systems, but I don't think that's what the counter arguments are about. I see people come on here saying how bad the current method is, how easy it is to make a mistake, and how complicated it is. That's what I don't buy. I agree that it's time to streamline, get the CTs out of the process, and utilize technology as we do with the general licenses. But that doesn't mean I think there's anything remotely difficult about the current process.

And I'm still trying to figure out where pink elephants came from. 😂

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
Seriously? You fill out an application, put in a specially required envelope with a check or money order filled out too, then you look up the correct address of thr CT you want to send to and fill out sections I and II of the envelope. You also then put a stamp on the inside of the envelope before sealing it and then another stamp on the outside of the envelope. Failure to complete any of these steps can result in your application being rejected or landing in a "dead letter" file.

Perhaps not overly complicated but certainly cumbersome compared to other successful systems widely available.
Oh, so are saying that a process you could train a monkey to do is too complex for today's younger generation of hunters? I sure would hate to believe that to be true.

The fact is you and all other hunters who apply are getting your antlerless license with virtually no problems arising from the current process. The current system simply isn't broke. It isn't even tilting.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Oh, so are saying that a process you could train a monkey to do is too complex for today's younger generation of hunters? I sure would hate to believe that to be true.

The fact is you and all other hunters who apply are getting your antlerless license with virtually no problems arising from the current process. The current system simply isn't broke. It isn't even tilting.

Dick Bodenhorn
No, I think he's saying that the younger and upcoming generation of hunters will be turned off by 1950's processes.
"Virtually no problems" =/= 0 problems.... and 2 of the last 3 years I've experienced multiple problems that were no fault of my own.

Face it, the current system isn't keeping up with the times. It's inefficient, has a lot of rust, is creaking, doesn't appeal to new buyers, and there's more reliable, more efficient models being sold elsewhere.

It's unreasonable to expect future consumers to be content with old rust-bucket processes like this, and intellectually dishonest to deny the problems/issues/concerns that are readily apparent.

·
Registered
18,909 Posts
And I'm still trying to figure out where pink elephants came from. 😂
BOURBON !!

now, back to the process of applying for those coveted doe tags. its a full blown political process that involves the state legislature. the CT's dont want to give up that little bit of precious income. some are extremely efficient at getting this done and making / earning the money they get. others are very lax and could care less. i think there should be a way to weed out the lazy inept ones and just the addresses for the good ones in the booklet and cut the others out of the loop all together. Problem solved.
online would be good until the system crashes or tags get messed up or not sent out / arriving on time, these things already happen with online license sales. i dont want to take that chance of it happening to me. first round over the counter, automatically included with your regular license like the buck and turkey tags, raise the price 10.00 dollars or more sounds great to me.

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
No, I think he's saying that the younger and upcoming generation of hunters will be turned off by 1950's processes.
"Virtually no problems" =/= 0 problems.... and 2 of the last 3 years I've experienced multiple problems that were no fault of my own.

Face it, the current system isn't keeping up with the times. It's inefficient, has a lot of rust, is creaking, doesn't appeal to new buyers, and there's more reliable, more efficient models being sold elsewhere.

It's unreasonable to expect future consumers to be content with old rust-bucket processes like this, and intellectually dishonest to deny the problems/issues/concerns that are readily apparent.
Problems????

I have been using the County Treasurer process to get a doe license for over sixty years and never once had a problem of not getting my license before I needed it. Never once had to call a County Treasurer to straighten out any problems.

I only used the on line system to purchase my regular license twice and one of those two times turned into a nightmare of phone calls and over six weeks without receiving the licenses I had paid for. It even cost me more to order on line, so it was even a nightmare I had to pay extra to get.

Nope I will never again buy my licenses on line if there is any other option available. I'll stick with, and much prefer, a 1950's system that works correctly over any new system that doesn't work correctly half the time or for that matter even a significantly smaller percentage of the time.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Problems????

I have been using the County Treasurer process to get a doe license for over sixty years and never once had a problem of not getting my license before I needed it. Never once had to call a County Treasurer to straighten out any problems.

I only used the on line system to purchase my regular license twice and one of those two times turned into a nightmare of phone calls and over six weeks without receiving the licenses I had paid for. It even cost me more to order on line, so it was even a nightmare I had to pay extra to get.

Nope I will never again buy my licenses on line if there is any other option available. I'll stick with, and much prefer, a 1950's system that works correctly over any new system that doesn't work correctly half the time or for that matter even a significantly smaller percentage of the time.

Dick Bodenhorn
If we want to continue with that kind of mentality.......I’ve never had an issue with purchasing my license online so that means no one could ever of had a problem and there should be no improvements made to the system.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Talked a buddy of mine into hunting PA deer. He lives in an adjoining state. We went in to Walmart, went through the lengthy process of getting a general license, with muzzleloader and archery add ons. I said "Grab a couple of those pink envelopes". He says "What for"? I said "To send in for your doe tags". His reply? " You're kidding". "I buy my license online and print it and my doe tags on my printer". I say to him, "Well, yeah, but PA is still stuck in '50s so that's what you have to do". "Just send it in the first day they accept applications and hope it doesn't get lost in the process". "By the time you get it straightened out, the early muzzleloader season will be over".( BTDT.)

161 - 180 of 231 Posts