The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thru the years on this site there have been many discussions about the doe application process.
Although myself I have never had a problem getting my doe tags but have always thought
it was an outdated process.
Any time anyone on here voiced their displeasure with the process many were quick to jump all over them.
Well with that being said for those who haven't heard the PGC is considering changing the process.
Largely due to the problems with postal end of the process.
Many hunters tags were awarded but never received them. In many cases the tags were mailed from the Treasurer only to be returned
to them.
No wonder the Democrats pushed for mail in voting. :unsure:

·
Registered
350 Posts
There are good points and bad points to both systems. Figuring out which one is better, glad I don't have to. I'm going to make popcorn now, should get interesting.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Be careful what you wish for, it could be worse. The fact that the company that is issuing the licenses is crap does not mean the system is wrong. There will be a ne company next year, lets wait and see.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't say I was wishing for anything, just pointing out that there are obvious flaws with the current system.
Otherwise the PGC wouldn't being considering a change.
As I stated in the past anyone who voiced any opposition to the current system on here got pretty ganged up on.
Now the Cat's got a lot of tongues.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I think we can all agree that the current process is archaic and we should be able to purchase on the website just like a license...
Nah, I like it the way it is. Been doing it this way for quite a while, always enjoy it. Like it kinda starts the season if you see what I mean. I take the same kind of care filling out my application and envelopes as I do with making sure my rifle is spot on ready and Ive got plenty of powder and ball and new longjohns long before the first day. Putting out my buckets at places I like to stop and sit while still hunting, scouting, gathering gear and canning supplies. From filling out the application to cleaning the meat grinder, all things at their time and all enjoyed.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well when you all are one of the ones who didn't get your tag you may be singing a different tune.
According to reports it wasn't just a handful.
Again there is a reason they are looking into a change.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
If they move it online they're probably going to need to invest in some additional infrastructure on the web side. Might crash the system with a ton of internet traffic on the first day

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would love to see the system changed. I think when you purchase your general hunting license you should be able to pay for you doe application at that time and give 3 choices for a Doe license. Then when the second round comes up you should be able to apply online and the same for the 3rd round if there is one for that WMU.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
..Sooooo..let me get this straight.....the CT mailed out awarded PINK envelopes(USPS).....and some got returned to the CT by the USPS...sounds like a full USPS investigation is needed at those POs...bombard the PO that had the issues of undelivered mail from the "anti"...and the perp will be fired....everything in videoed and monitored at PO so it will be cut and dry what happened...

Reactions: octagon

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Worked for years, If you can buy one like archery,bear,muzzleloader over the counter I'm all for that! If not leave it alone

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Nah, I like it the way it is. Been doing it this way for quite a while, always enjoy it. Like it kinda starts the season if you see what I mean. I take the same kind of care filling out my application and envelopes as I do with making sure my rifle is spot on ready and Ive got plenty of powder and ball and new longjohns long before the first day. Putting out my buckets at places I like to stop and sit while still hunting, scouting, gathering gear and canning supplies. From filling out the application to cleaning the meat grinder, all things at their time and all enjoyed.
Yea, I can respect that.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I have always found the current process easy, fair, and reliable.

I highly doubt any process the PGC uses will be 100% error free and/or make all applicants happy.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I have always found the current process easy, fair, and reliable.

I highly doubt any process the PGC uses will be 100% error free and/or make all applicants happy.

Good luck, Tony
Of course, nothing is 100% error free but if you can at least improve a flawed process, why wouldn't you explore that option to it's fullest?

I get it, some folks would be happier if we still had the Pony Express. Ain't that right, Buckskin Dave? :D;)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'd love to see the whole process, tags included, get overhauled and modernized.
But I know there will be a ton of resistance (it's PA after all)... especially if an electronic tagging system were to be proposed.
Besides the "technophobic" objections, there's a whole host of hunters out there that suddenly wouldn't be able to hold their annual "Just saved 3 deer a piece" tag burning parties. :ROFLMAO:

Truth be told, I don't see changes to the process happening anytime soon... There's legislation that would need to be introduced and passed, and unless they find another vendor besides Aspira to handle fulfillment, I'm not overly keen on making the change, as much as I think a change is warranted. Aspira can't adequately fulfill general license sales right now with an acceptable level of accuracy... I wouldn't reward them with more work (MONEY) unless and until they demonstrate vastly improved service.
Now if an alternate vendor steps into the ring, or Aspira has a completely electronic alternative, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I would love to see the system changed. I think when you purchase your general hunting license you should be able to pay for you doe application at that time and give 3 choices for a Doe license. Then when the second round comes up you should be able to apply online and the same for the 3rd round if there is one for that WMU.
I don't know about change the whole system BUT I would like to be able to purchase 1 doe permit the same time I buy my other permits (bear, muzzle loader,ect.) I have a life time senior license so all I have to do is buy permits. Then If I wanted a 2nd or 3rd doe permit I could mail it in, at least I'd be able to tag a doe in one of the early seasons and not have to worry about getting a doe permit.

1 - 20 of 263 Posts