The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going over the Digest regarding antlerless tags.
Digest states that successful applicants tags will be mailed after the second Monday in September.
If you don't receive your tag you'll need to contact the Co. Treasurer to where you sent.
Well the second Monday is September 13th. and archery season in SR areas opens the 18th.
Sure doesn't give ya much wiggle room if there is a problem.
I'll be hunting 5D on opening day so I have the 14th thru the 17th to hope my tag comes in.
What were they thinking when they came up with this one.:mad:

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Normally I'd have my first round tag in hand by now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
“Successful applicants will receive their antlerless deer licenses after the 2nd Monday in September.”
That’s what the digest says. Which to me sounds more like a planned mass mailing than an “absolute latest deadline.” Although we’ll see. My checks cashed and my license is posted online so not sure why they wouldn’t start mailing sooner? Regardless I’m sure I’ll have mine well ahead of my first trip into the woods.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe what you're reading is a deadline for the treasurer to send them out, not a date they will be sent out.
You may be right but it sure doesn't sound that way.
Top of page 28 (Successful applicants will receive their antlerless deer license after the 2nd Monday in September)

·
Registered
32 Posts
You may be right but it sure doesn't sound that way.
Top of page 28 (Successful applicants will receive their antlerless deer license after the 2nd Monday in September)
Has anyone that sent to Elk County Treasurer physically received their Doe License? My was awarded on Monday, 7/12 but I haven't received it yet. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just spoke to a woman at the Bucks Co. treasurers office.
She said they have had numerous calls regarding this issue and they are not adhering to the mailing of tags as stated in digest.
Doe tags will be mailed within 2-3 weeks of being awarded according to her. Sounded to me like they are trying to process as many tags
as possible before mailing them unlike previous years where they were mailed right after they were awarded.
Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Has anyone that sent to Elk County Treasurer physically received their Doe License? My was awarded on Monday, 7/12 but I haven't received it yet. Thanks.
Elk likes to sit on the awarded first round tags for 2-3 weeks before mailing them, saying it's to make sure checks clear...(Doesn't make sense in this day and age of how checks are cashed and cleared, but whatever...)
They do seem to mail the unsold rounds tags faster, usually the end of the week they are awarded.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know life is good when this “worry” surfaces every year.

Have you EVER not had a tag in hand on opening day that was awarded in the first round?
NO
BUT did the Digest ever state the tags would be mailed after the 2nd Monday in September?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Elk likes to sit on the awarded first round tags for 2-3 weeks before mailing them, saying it's to make sure checks clear...(Doesn't make sense in this day and age of how checks are cashed and cleared, but whatever...)
They do seem to mail the unsold rounds tags faster, usually the end of the week they are awarded.
That's good to know. Thanks

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Have you EVER not had a tag in hand on opening day that was awarded in the first round?
No, but I have had 3rd round tags not arrive in time for the SRA opener (2-3 times), but always had them 2 days later on Monday.
Once, I ran to Doylestown to OTC a tag beforehand, the other or others I just waited till the tag showed to hunt my brother's small parcel.

That won't work well this year, with OTC tag sales not starting till AFTER the SRA opener....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Was going over the Digest regarding antlerless tags.
Digest states that successful applicants tags will be mailed after the second Monday in September.
I sent my application for 4C to Pottstown on July 10 and received my doe tag yesterday July 21. Next up I will put in for 5C.

·
Super Moderator
14,542 Posts
The dates for County Treasurers to mail the licenses out to the successful license owns are mandated, by the following regulation. You will note that the dates are the deadline and can be mailed earlier if the Treasurer wishes to do so.

(c) Except as otherwise provided in § 143.52 (relating to procedure for unlimited antlerless licenses) and for qualified landowners, licenses issued shall be delivered to successful applicants in the envelope by first class mail through and by the United States Postal Service. Licenses shall be placed with the United States Postal Service no later than the second Monday in September, except for licenses issued under § 143.51(f) (relating to application and issuance of unsold tags) which shall be placed with the United States Postal Service no later than the fourth Monday in September. If more than one application is mailed to the county treasurer in the same envelope, the licenses shall be mailed to the person whose name appears on the return section of the envelope. The person receiving the additional licenses is responsible for delivering them to the appropriate people.

The regulation has been worded this way and remained unchanged for a long, long time so nothing has changed in when the Treasurers mail from past years. Some County Treasurers will mail them as soon as they are processed while others will hold them for a while and mail a bunch of them all at once.

The biggest reasons some Treasurers hold them until closer to the time hunters can use them is both to allow for the checks to clear but also because past history has proven to them that the earlier they send them out to the hunters the more likely they are to have a larger number of hunters requesting a replacement because they can no longer find the license they received a month or more ago.

Relax folks. If you were awarded a license, which you can check to determine on line, just as in the past you will have it before the time comes when you can use it.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
That clause was never in the digest before, so along with the new system I couldn't help but wonder what if?
From the 2017/2018 Digest:
Successful applicants will receive their antlerless deer licenses
aft er the 2nd Monday in September
I can't look back prior to 2017... don't have those digests handy (I have a stack of old ones in the blind upstate lol) but I don't see the same language in the 2009 pdf I found...

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Relax folks. If you were awarded a license, which you can check to determine on line, just as in the past you will have it before the time comes when you can use it.

Dick Bodenhorn
That might not be the case this year:

1st Round, apply for 3C - awarded
1st Unsold, apply for 3C, 5C second preference.
2nd Unsold, Apply for 3C, 5C second preference.

OTC sales start 9/13, season opens in SRAs 9/18.

Prior to this year, my application process looked like this:
1st Round, apply 3C
1st Unsold, 1 app 3C, 2 Apps 5C
2nd Unsold, 1 app 3C/5C 2nd preference

OTC 8/26 - snag another (or two) 5C tag if the spirit moves me.

Now this year, if by some miracle I get 3 3C tags, I can't apply for a 5C tag until 9/13 (assuming they remain, which is almost guaranteed under the new structure.) BUT I'll have to go in person, because there's no way in Hades a CT is going to issue one 9/13 by mail and get it back to my 9/17....

Additionally, if I'm awarded a 5C in the 2nd unsold round, which is more likely than there being any 3C left at that point this year, and the CT sits on it till 9/13, there's no guarantee I'll get it by 9/17, which has happened to me in the past.
Ultimately, it's not something I lose sleep over. My 5C archery hunts are more opportunistic, not big planned hunts. To me it's just another example of the inherent inefficiency of the process.

Now for the "They hold them so hunters don't lose them and have to replace them bit".... well, if that's honestly a reason they give, that's pretty dang insulting... We're adults. We're responsible for ourselves and our things.... and it's kinda bad business sense, seeing how they charge full price for replacements... sounds like a lost revenue opportunity.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From the 2017/2018 Digest:

I can't look back prior to 2017... don't have those digests handy (I have a stack of old ones in the blind upstate lol) but I don't see the same language in the 2009 pdf I found...
I stand corrected, don't know how I missed it in the past but Obviously did. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guess I was spoiled in the past:D for as long as I can remember regardless of what round of sale it was I always got
my tags within 3 days from when it was awarded.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts