The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latest PGC proposal is reduce the non resident wait form 2 weeks to 1 week to apply for a tag after the initial First round drawings.
It's looks like it will pass.
The initial proposal was to have Resident and Non Resident applications to be excepted at the same time but several Sportsmans groups rallied against it.
Just a heads Up to get them Apps. out on time, don't wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,848 Posts
When I initially read that on the PGC site, I had just taken a drink and spit it right back up I laughed so hard. I can't wait to see all the posts crying foul that our system is flawed and we need a new one because they weren't on the ball enough to send their app in on time. I can see it now,"I REALLY, TRULY don't care, but........"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
I think the impact of this change will be small and short lived. I think the intent is to potentially allow nonresidents a better chance at a doe tag. The first year or two will have more nonresidents getting a tag but once people notice there is a change (a season or two) the number of nonresidents getting a doe tag will probably settle back down to the old way...just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
There are plenty of NR's with camps in areas that sell out quickly I think giving them a reasonable chance to get one is not a bad thing.....No resident that sends out on time should have any issue getting their first tag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Betcha they could see the reduction of NR license sales was imminent if they the greedy residents kept buyin em all up at the going rate
good ole boy said:
Of course they want to give NR,s a better opportunity.Money talks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,900 Posts
You can only buy 1 before Non-residents apply. I agree, with the proposal, the date for non-residents should be moved.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,279 Posts
Mike M. said:
You can only buy 1 before Non-residents apply. I agree, with the proposal, the date for non-residents should be moved.
The problems I see are when a resident sends in early but the county treasurer is too slow to process in 1st week.

Booting the county treasurer "only" from the process should be implemented first, IMO. FT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,736 Posts
So, how early can we send for unsold antlerless tags?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NanookOdaNorth said:
So, how early can we send for unsold antlerless tags?
I assume everything will be moved up a week.

I can hear the Whinning now from those who don't bother to stay updated each season with any new changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,301 Posts
Potter Co. Joe said:
NanookOdaNorth said:
So, how early can we send for unsold antlerless tags?
I assume everything will be moved up a week.

I can hear the Whinning now from those who don't bother to stay updated each season with any new changes.
Wasn't it the whining by out of state camp owners that some commissioners are pandering to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pappybear said:
Potter Co. Joe said:
NanookOdaNorth said:
So, how early can we send for unsold antlerless tags?
I assume everything will be moved up a week.

I can hear the Whinning now from those who don't bother to stay updated each season with any new changes.
Wasn't it the whining by out of state camp owners that some commissioners are pandering to?
Your probaly right.
If ya remember the way it was years ago, Doe tags apps. were excepted a lot later than they are now.
The first year of the change we had 4 guys in our club complaining that the tags were sold out and they didn't know about the changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,301 Posts
Yep. I remember the complaints when the changes were made.
There were also PA residents who filed on time this past year that didn't get tags because of inefficient county treasurers. That needs to be corrected before they worry about nonresidents getting their fair shot at tags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I don't think whining is a good word for wanting a chance to harvest a doe. A non resident pays for the licenses as well as other costs to hunt just the same. After all aren't we all in this together as hunters?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,848 Posts
OH bukmstr said:
I don't think whining is a good word for wanting a chance to harvest a doe. A non resident pays for the licenses as well as other costs to hunt just the same. After all aren't we all in this together as hunters?
What "other" costs does a nonresident of PA pay to hunt here that a PA resident doesn't pay to hunt any other state as a nonresident?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,848 Posts
I think it's reasonable for any hunter to want an antlerless tag. I also happen to agree with the change that was made. But there are only around 4 units in any given year that this change will even have an effect on.
Even without this change, I don't think nonresidents hunting in PA are any more or less disadvantaged than a nonresident hunting in any other state out there.

I have hunted New York, Maryland, Ohio, Illinois, Maine, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Alaska as a nonresident. There are certain specific pros and cons to all of them, but taken as a whole, hunting anywhere as a NR has it's disadvantages. There are hunts in some of those states that are not even open to nonresidents. For a lot of the antlerless license threads that pop up on here, I do think whining is the appropriate thing to call them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
kudu58 said:
I think it's reasonable for any hunter to want an antlerless tag. I also happen to agree with the change that was made. But there are only around 4 units in any given year that this change will even have an effect on.
Even without this change, I don't think nonresidents hunting in PA are any more or less disadvantaged than a nonresident hunting in any other state out there.

I have hunted New York, Maryland, Ohio, Illinois, Maine, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Alaska as a nonresident. There are certain specific pros and cons to all of them, but taken as a whole, hunting anywhere as a NR has it's disadvantages. There are hunts in some of those states that are not even open to nonresidents. For a lot of the antlerless license threads that pop up on here, I do think whining is the appropriate thing to call them.
I made that exact point earlier. I kept tabs and most areas were sold out the first week anyway. Residents didn't even get a chance due to the administration and mass numbers of applications.
We are are equals resident or nonresident, and all states have different situations as far as regs.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top