The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunted Thursday morning, had 5 doe in range for a half hour,only shot I had was straight on at 20 yards. I didn't shoot because I don't like chest shots with a bow. The lead doe knew there was something wrong but not quite sure what I was. She came around me at 30 yards broadside but a little skiddish. I put the 30 yard crosshair centerd behind the sholder and sent the goldtip with a thunderhead 125 on it's way out of my Excalibur Equinox. The doe jumped the string and the arrow went over her! I didn't hold on the lower third, mistake on my part.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Ah man that's bowhunting for ya. Good think you didn't take the straight on shot. Thank you.

Did you aim halfway up on the doe? I shot a doe this year with my compound just over 30 yards. Aimed at the bottom third. She jumped the string and I got her in her spine. Just goes to show how quick the reflexes are of deer.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
I know hard to wait when you know that the deer are a little worked up but the best thing to do is wait them out. they can literaly fly when they know what is comming and I have found this out about a half dozen times or so over the past few years due to my lack of patience.

·
Registered
78 Posts
funny....so many people think that crossbows are so fast that a deer can not jump the string....unless you can get one that will outshoot the speed of sound...1125 fps....jumping the string is always a possibility

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I had a big doe jump over my arrow about 2 weeks ago...45 yard shot, looking right at me. Missed about a foot under her chest right after she leaped straight up. She had a will to survive that day.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
tuff for sure, but i won't try a shot on a deer that thinks something is up like that doe was....to easy for a bad wounding shot and long track job........bob

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Phase47 said:
I had a big doe jump over my arrow about 2 weeks ago...45 yard shot, looking right at me. Missed about a foot under her chest right after she leaped straight up. She had a will to survive that day.
Oh man. This is the reason many people are against crossbows. Not saying somebody with a compound won't try a 45 yard shot, but to have a deer staring right at you and you still try a 45 yard shot...really? That's not a shot I would expect any PA archer to consistently make a kill shot on.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Happens to the best of us...it happened to me 3 times in the last 5 years....30 yards and less...2 which were 2 of the biggest bucks,i've ever seen ,but made up for all of it this past season..So i've taught myself to shoot lower when aiming at deer....Honkers51

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Double Lung 20 said:
Oh man. This is the reason many people are against crossbows.
watch any tv show and watch people sending arrows at deer at angles and ranges no archer should be doing, 85/90% compound shooters
....it's just not xbows, i think the biggest thing people think bout xbows are they think they are a rifle, so not true....coming from hunting with a compound since 1982 and had to go to a xbow....i found no difference in the range i'll shoot both out to free hand, a solid rest with a xbow on an un-spooked deer at 40/50 yards is taking a chance with an arrow....out of all the 56 deer i have taken since 1982 i have never had any jump/duck my arrows....i read a lot of posts saying people have had deer jump the string/arrow....i see on tv how deer seem to jump every arrow sent there way, but only after they try to stop a moving deer with a baagggghhhh....they just alerted that deer before they free there arrow and of course that deer will be a bundle of nerves at any un-natural sound they hear....i don't and have never stopped a moving deer with any sound, i just let them go or stop on there own and make sure they are relaxed as can be before
........bob

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
but only after they try to stop a moving deer with a baagggghhhh....they just alerted that deer before they free there arrow and of course that deer will be a bundle of nerves at any un-natural sound they hear....i don't and have never stopped a moving deer with any sound, i just let them go or stop on there own and make sure they are relaxed as can be before ........bob

I will not stop a deer. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
I've killed loads of deer with a compund when the deer were looking right at me and never had one jump the string.I'm not an expert on crossbows but the one's I've shot were pretty loud.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
dce said:
I've killed loads of deer with a compund when the deer were looking right at me and never had one jump the string.I'm not an expert on crossbows but the one's I've shot were pretty loud.
I am shocked. I've spined a few deer because they ducked as I released a shot.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
bob1961 said:
Double Lung 20 said:
Oh man. This is the reason many people are against crossbows.
watch any tv show and watch people sending arrows at deer at angles and ranges no archer should be doing, 85/90% compound shooters
....it's just not xbows, i think the biggest thing people think bout xbows are they think they are a rifle, so not true....coming from hunting with a compound since 1982 and had to go to a xbow....i found no difference in the range i'll shoot both out to free hand, a solid rest with a xbow on an un-spooked deer at 40/50 yards is taking a chance with an arrow....out of all the 56 deer i have taken since 1982 i have never had any jump/duck my arrows....i read a lot of posts saying people have had deer jump the string/arrow....i see on tv how deer seem to jump every arrow sent there way, but only after they try to stop a moving deer with a baagggghhhh....they just alerted that deer before they free there arrow and of course that deer will be a bundle of nerves at any un-natural sound they hear....i don't and have never stopped a moving deer with any sound, i just let them go or stop on there own and make sure they are relaxed as can be before
........bob

I agree. I've seen Nuge take some low percentage shots. It was terrible.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Dutch said:
but only after they try to stop a moving deer with a baagggghhhh....they just alerted that deer before they free there arrow and of course that deer will be a bundle of nerves at any un-natural sound they hear....i don't and have never stopped a moving deer with any sound, i just let them go or stop on there own and make sure they are relaxed as can be before ........bob

I will not stop a deer. Been there, done that.
Your experiences with bucks or doe?

I've stopped bucks with mouth bleats and a grunt tube, especially in the rut. I've been at full draw (not a crossbow guy) and the arrow is on the way in a second or two, they never attempted to drop at the shot. If you make a sound to stop them, no way you can draw then, or raise your crossbow. Gotta be ready to shoot when you stop it.

I will not make a sound at a doe. Anything unusual causes them to spazz in my experiences. But seems like a buck on the prowl is more careless.

Back to the OP, this is an excellent example of how the performance of a crossbow is about the same as a compound bow. On a skittish doe, aim real low, bottom third. If it doesn't drop, heart shot, if it does, lungs, If you pull it low, a miss.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
shows on tv have been 95% bucks, they are at full draw and baaghhh, buck stops and looks there way and then i watch the buck duck as shot gets there = bad hit or missed over his back....funny thing is the buck was just walking nice and slow and bout 20 yards away....i have shot buck and doe that close with my compound of only 215fps and my crossbow at 290fps while walking and they never flinched till the arrow hit the ground behind them
....no need to alert the deer
.........bob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts