The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems a lot of people are upset over the lack of deer and think there is nothing they can do about it.
Would it be possible to boycott doe hunting? It is us hunters that are shooting the doe and only we can decide to not shoot the doe. I do not shoot doe because there are very few deer in my area. If you feel there are not enough deer, stop shooting them. Get your camp to stop or maybe all the camps on your road. Get your clubs to vote on stopping and let it be known killing doe is frowned upon. Print up some save the doe bumper stickers. Stop buying doe licenses. It would send a great message if all the wmu's did not sell out and that revenue will be lost until there is something to hunt.

Not shooting a doe for a year or two is a small price to pay for getting the deer populations back up.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
This has always been a heated topic. On a personal level , our camp does not hunt doe . Until the herd comes around upstate I see no reason to do so,but down close to home where there are plenty there is a need to cull a few .

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
That will never work. For every tag you don't buy, there's going to be another guy that buys two of them. Second, if the PGC doesn't get the kill they need, they'll just raise the number of tags allocated, and more will be sold the next year. Plus, the deer numbers were too high in the beginning of all this, let's not take steps back after we've taken so many foreward. Yes, there are areas where the population is low in many peoples eyes, but there are areas where it's also too high. With large chunks of both private and public ground, it's most likely alays going to be that way.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Please do...I would love to get a bonus 2G tag.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I see your point but lll give you an example besides some good points was already given. I live in Md but mainly hunt Pa. Back in 1988 there was a hunting club formed up the road from me and i actually belong to it. It is a montain of + 2000 acres where a business man from Pittsburgh owns and everyone always just hunted there with no control. Some locals got togeather and formed this because a group from Baltimore approached the owner about leasing and he didnt want to see the locals kept out. The club is very strong first year everyone who wanted got in then there was a cap. The first order of business was no doe hunting everyone saying it was hunted out, etc. So figure Pa. in 88 was in its prime and this place is 2 miles from Pa. From then until now 24 years later there is less deer there now than when it was started.

·
Registered
18,705 Posts
There is always talk of this but the reality is it will be difficult to get enough to sign on to matter. Many hunters are perfectly content to keep shooting does for a variety of reasons.

Personally, I shoot them where the populations are good and I don't shoot them where populations are low.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
People will still shoot them and just tell you they didnt!

I say turn the back tag into an any sex tag. That way if its really hurting in your area you can go anywhere in the state and have a chance to kill "a deer"

·
Registered
329 Posts
I won't hunt where I know there are few deer but that's me. There are lots of people who are unwilling to go to where the deer are for a variety of reasons (both good and bad). That, like boycotting doe tags or buying tags and not using them are choices they make. Wasn't uncommon for us to go to camp and then drive 50-60 miles each morning to hunt deer.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
My neighbor doesn't shoot doe because he doesn't think there are many deer. And he's right, on his land there aren't many deer. On our land, where we have better habitat, the deer are here. Hunters on my land shoot doe. And we should because the deer are impacting the habitat.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
A lot of common sense answers to your question here. It wouln't work.

Most of us don't belong to camps or clubs. As long as the PGC is selling someone will be buying.

Most hunters don't set foot on the land they hunt before the season starts. They see a deer, they have a tag so it must be OK to use it. That's just the way it is.

Maybe at the local level it's possible to do what you want, but Statewide it's the PGC's responsibility to protect the resource.

It amazes me sometimes when some of us blame each other for shooting all the deer, and think we can stop it. I'm not saying that's what your doing here but some of us have.

BTW: I haven't taken a doe in at least 8years that's just my choice. Count me as one of those people who think WE can't do anything about it for the reasons given.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Already have 2 fresh ones in the freezer, both off of public land. Too late for me this year. I did not get the memo saying there are no deer in PA!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I won't stop shooting does, however I don't shoot em in rifle season. In areas the doe population NEEDS to be controlled, the does out number the bucks and the browse becomes scarce, you can actually see the browse is picked clean up to 6ft up the bush just because there is a deer population issue. You think we should stop shooting does? Take a hike to 2b and go on a cooperative farm, my buddy saw 30 does the in one sit, go snag a tag over the counter, $6.70.

And for those of you who are complaining about not seeing any does, do some all year round scouting, look at NEW places. If I'm not seeing deer throughout the year in certain places I move and search, deer move all the time and just because one place was good for the past 5 years doesn't mean it's going to stay to be great.

·
Registered
881 Posts
You want to improve your doe population? Improve your habitat. Instead of using your free time trying to rally against killing doe, (which, by the way, needs to be done,) instead spend your time improving your local habitat so it can support more deer. If it can sustain more deer, there will be more deer there.I'm not talking about food plots, I'm talking selective cutting, planting mast trees, fruit trees, etc. things to make the habitat better. Food plot, too, if you want. They also provide extra nutrition.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts