The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to document firearms that you own. What would insurance companies want to see if you had guns stolen. Do you need to tell insurance companies that you have them. Looking for some advice what to do. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I keep a Word document with all the data. I use categories Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Scopes, and then when I sell one I transfer that line of data to the Sold section adding the buyer's info in comments. In the comments I list walnut blued, stainless synthetic, customizing, current scope w/sn, etc.

Then I have a picture like this for all of them. If it has a scope I write the scope data with SN on the pic too.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Most home owners polices will include a certian amount for fiearms and jewerly etc. I have additional ins. added to cover more. Best way to document is picture with complete description including serial number.
best protection is a good quality fireproof safe

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Most homeowners policies limit stolen firearms, or those lost in a fire, to $500 collectively, usually not enough. I buy a Scheduled Personal Property rider at a premium of $1.00 per value of gun (a $500 gun would cost $5 per year premium). My HO carrier, Allstate, demands a sale receipt or appraisal and photo of each. This is all risk coverage, i.e., if you let it lay in the woods or drop it in a lake, there is coverage. You csn insure other items as well on a SPP.I have some scopes and binoculars on it.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
after having my house burglarized in November and having a shotgun stolen, only gun not in the safe, i have since taken digital photos of all guns, and written down all serial numbers. have the numbers stored in more than one place and will have the photos saved to disc. plan on doing much the same to all house contents. have yet to catch the thieves.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Never really looked into it, but I was thinking your NRA membership also provides some coverage for your firearms ... or is it something that you have to setup? pay more for?

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
I have multiple copies of the list, with all the info. Plus the data is on the 'puter, but not titled to give away what the file is for.

Always been my habit to record model/serial numbers of things that might disappear. Had my lawn tractor stolen once, many years ago. It was in the paper the next morning, including the numbers. Police called that night to tell me someone had "found" it and they wanted to return it.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
DennyF said:
I have multiple copies of the list, with all the info. Plus the data is on the 'puter, but not titled to give away what the file is for.

Always been my habit to record model/serial numbers of things that might disappear. Had my lawn tractor stolen once, many years ago. It was in the paper the next morning, including the numbers. Police called that night to tell me someone had "found" it and they wanted to return it.
Thnaks for posting this. I keep a written record, but I will now make an excel spreadsheet and keep it on the PC. Plus I will include all SN's for guns and scopes. I do have general photos of pretty much all my guns sold. Thanks again, this is good CYA stuff.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
gunwallet.com or the one I use is called E-Z personal collector gun inventory software. allows for pics, all info, purchase date, price, accessories etc...
actually just did all my updates from the year today!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
stoolshooter said:
Most homeowners policies limit stolen firearms, or those lost in a fire, to $500 collectively, usually not enough. I buy a Scheduled Personal Property rider at a premium of $1.00 per value of gun (a $500 gun would cost $5 per year premium). My HO carrier, Allstate, demands a sale receipt or appraisal and photo of each. This is all risk coverage, i.e., if you let it lay in the woods or drop it in a lake, there is coverage. You csn insure other items as well on a SPP.I have some scopes and binoculars on it.
This is not correct, at least with my insurance. Yes my insurance limits my loss on gun thefts to $1500.00. However, after a fire your guns are covered under your contents policy of your insurance and they will be replaced. However, you need to be sure you have "replacement" insurance on your house and contents so all of your valuables will be replaced dollar for dollar. My guns and scopes and bino's and all of my hunting stuff were replaced after my fire. It didnt cost me one cent out of my pocket. But you have to make sure you have replacement value insurance. Alot of people dont have this and alot of insurance co.'s dont add it to there policies to keep the cost down to gain new clients. I had to show my adjuster my guns that were destroyed(all of them) and he approved it for a check right away so I could get them in time for hunting season.
Mine requires a receipt if you have it or a picture with the serial numbers, cost and etc.
Guns ruined in a fire are totally different then ones stolen from your home.
As a side note, after we had our fire that destroyed our home and after my guns were examined by a gunsmith and my adjuster, someone broke into my burnt out house and stole them. Talk about being kicked in the groin when you are already down!!

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
I use an Excel spreadsheet. I had additional insurance with Collectibles Insurance company out of MD.

http://www.collectinsure.com/ - I pay like $63 a year. They cover not only my guns / scopes / but also stuff like my bows, etc.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
I have a "current value" assigned to each firearm and update that from time to time. Mostly so my son will know what everything is worth, when I croak and he sells most of them to buy a new Rolls Royce?

He must be keeping track, because he just asked the other day, what one very old Winchester is worth these days?

Original price that I paid isn't all that useful, since many were bought over 40 years ago and have appreciated in value quite a bit since then. For insurance replacement purposes, current value is what should matter.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I got a meassage asking if I could send my word doc without the data. So I just deleted the data from it making a shell leaving some lines, it's a simple word table and easy to maintain, probably every computer has a word processor that will edit .doc files.

I send a copy to my daughter for safe keeping, I also backup up the whole pc on an external drive keeping it in my safe. Of course the file can be password protected like any other word file and it can be defined as "hidden" in explorer. A VERY easy way, if that's what your looking for, is to keep all your important files on an SD camera card, as simple as can be and very easy to physically conceal if you don't have a safe.

I travel a fair amount and it's always good to have a photocopy of the front page of your passport and your credit card numbers with their phone numbers. You can put this stuff on the smallest camera card made, password protect it and "hidden" it. You can put it in a hotel safe, pocket, wallet, literally anywhere.

So if anybody wants a copy of the shell just send me your email. Can also help you password protect or make it hidden, a google search will get you that too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts