The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hunting?

Maybe this is a stupid topic.

Never have but wondering if its a good idea given you can shoot multiple shots in a day?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I do now! Since my ears hiss 24/7.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Depends, I have electronic muffs and electronic ear plugs and regular sonic earplugs. If it is windy, I were the sonic ear plugs.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I thought my hearing was bad from the military, but when i came to think of the amount of rounds i shoot a year hunting, without ear protection, it is a heck of alot more than i ever shot without in the military. I really need to get some myself.

A friend of mine had custom ones made up, he does alot of dcuk hunting. He says he never knows he has them in.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nope...tough enough to hear the bell, my old beeper or the Astro's tiny point beep w/o adding another wall of interference.
Hearing protection does have it's place....just not for me for upland bird hunting.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Do what I do, leave one ear unprotected, when the dogs go on point, protect the other ear as you are walking up to flush the bird.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What kind of hearing protection could you feasibly wear? I would be considered as fairly young and suffer from tinnitus and hearing loss due to turbine engines and gunfire. I have a constant ringing and often think what will 10 or 20 years bring. Is there such a thing as noise cancelling plugs that could be used in grouse woods?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have to tell you I don't know other than that sonic is the brand name and I have had them for 20 years or more. Yhey are the ones with the silve canisters and the orange collared ribbed rubber that goes into your ears. I bought some new sonic plugs last year and they have a clear plastic plug which are not as soft as my old ones and I do not use them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
John of PA, many kinds of ear plugs allow you to hear normal sounds and speech but shut out loud noises like gun fire.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I didn't know they made ear plugs like that, I thought you could only get that option with muffs. I like the idea of ear plugs that would work like you described.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Guys there was a good discussion on this in the waterfowl forum. I do a ton of goose and duck hunting from the blind and use Howard Leight Impact sport muffs when out. These things are great and definitely do not affect my shooting

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
stevenstiegel said:
Guys there was a good discussion on this in the waterfowl forum. I do a ton of goose and duck hunting from the blind and use Howard Leight Impact sport muffs when out. These things are great and definitely do not affect my shooting
I need to get a pair of those.

I have shotgunner muffs but not electronic ones.

Sounds like they are what I need.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
John-PA said:
treed, how would you hear the hounds if you had ear plugs in?
I wouldn;t with typical plugs, but the electronic ears i probably would. Muffs are impractical when rabbit hunting. Like i said a buddy has a set that fits in his ears and they make those that are electronic so you can hear everything except the shot.

I expect that i would be better able to hear the hounds with electronic ears. In the group i hunt, we are mostly deaf to begin with and we usually stand around yelling if anyone hears the dogs.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I understand in trying to find the economical alternative, but get a game ear. For years I wore one and a regular plug in the other. Now I wear 2. If there's one thing worth spending money on that can't be replaced.....it's your health.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts