The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 30-06 that I want to put some nice glass on (any suggestions?) and I was wondering what I should do with my 30-30. Right now it has this old scope on it that I was considering replacing. I like scopes on my rifle because it helps me make out the deer better and take better shots. Now I'm kind of considering taking the scope off of it and just use the iron sights. I will have to go to the range and see how I do with just the irons but knowing me I'll probably put another scope on it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am an absolute 30-30 fan, I love my marlin 336 it is my go to gun, and even though I have several other rifles it is my go to for anything. if the world was ending tomorrow I would want my 1911 and my 30-30 by my side.

to answer your question is your 30-30 a lever gun or a bolt?
I am guessing lever, if it is a bolt then scope it.
if it is a lever I can see where the question comes in.

when I purchased mine it had a fixed 4 power scope on it, and I was reasonably accurate, about 3-3.5 moa. with a 3-9x40 on it I am just 1-1.5 if I am having a good day. I also put a cheaper scope on the gun knowing that I carry it in tractors and through brush etc.

I love my high see through rings and simmons scope on this gun makes it a very good all around setup, and don't let anyone tell you that you aren't shooting far with a 30-30 I can hit groundhogs at 150 yards with this gun and I would not hesitate to shoot a deer out to 175.

depending on your eyes you may want to look at the fixed four power... they are cheap and you don't feel guilty banging them up a little.

the 2-7 power is adequate if you feel the need to cover brush and feilds or want a more all around setup

I opted for 3-9 because of price, varmint shooting and availability.

there is a reson these rifles are over 100 years old and still one of the most popular deer cartridges in the state.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I dropped my scoped '06's and .270's back in '95 in favor of an iron sighted .30-30. I used it almost exclusively for a decade and killed a lot of game doing it. I got that out of my system now and have been back to my .30-06's and .270's for the past five years. If I ever take the 30-30 afield again it will be with open sights. I just don't feel a lever gun looks or carries well with a scope. And I made kills out to 200 yards with the iron sights.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
As far as the glass for the .30-06 check out the new Redfield Revolutions. A Leupold scope at a much better price.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Eyes are too bad for iron in poor light so I put a Red dot on my 30-30. Otherwise, I'd go for a quality low power/large FOV fixed, maybe 2.5X or even 4X.

·
Registered
191 Posts
After getting off a poor shot last year on a doe and never finding her, I contemplated this same question all summer. The reason for the poor shot was I didn't pick her up in the scope fast enough. I thought so at the time but looking back on it I would have probably done better with the open sights. So, this year my scope has been removed. The only thing I'm afraid of is not being able to pick up the amount of points on a buck.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
When you hunt with open sights you then have to carry bino's to count points. There is no cranking it up on 9X to see if the buck is legal.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I just picked up a Model 70 in .30-06 this summer with a 3x9-40 on it so I took the scope off my Model 94 and am installing a Williams peep on it. Haven't shot with the peep yet, but now I have two very different rifles to choose from based on the terrain and situation. The .30-30 is a Trapper with a 16 inch barrel so it will be awesome to carry and quick handling especially now without the scope. It's all personal preference though.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Scope. Improves accuracy and lets you Know 'legal' with todays A/R.

Personally, I never understood "quick handling" or "quick shooting" for deer hunting. Shot should be deliberate, not raced. Bunnies, Lion, cape Buffalo....maybe some quick handling there.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Agree with Harrysigafoo,
A rushed shot is a missed shot or a poor hit most of the time!! Never did like see thru mounts,puts scope too high over the bore. Learn to shoot keping both eyes open the scope assisted eye will take over. Takes PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE.
Smage

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have a 3x9x32 scope on my 30-30 it works just fine for me. Thinking of putting a strait 4x on it though seen how i hardly ever take it of 3x.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
When I was 13 I got my Winchester Model 94 in 30/30...Living in Shamokin, we had a gunsmith right across the street and I took the rifle to him, where he drilled and tapped it for a Weaver side mount and put a brand new Weaver K3 scope on it..This particular rifle groups an honest inch at 100 yards with a handload of mine, and the scope added another 75 yards to the killing range of the rifle for me...That year I hunted doe out in a field where locals pushed deer from woods to woods and I had a ball because with that scope I felt like I could make any shot that was offered....Three doe came running my way from 400 yards off, and I just stooped down and left them come to about 100 yards away, where they saw me ,and turned broadside, and ran for the mountain...I cut loose, and on the third shot, the lead doe did a 2 1/2 somersalt...A lot of luck was involved with that shot, but I never lost faith in that 30/30, even though I bought a 270 shortly after.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a winchester model 94 30/30. I had a scope mounted high and off to the side. It worked good cause i couldu use the scope or the irons. I just didnt like the way it looked or the way it carried so I took off the scope. I find that im just as accurate at 150 yards with a scope as i am with irons. The only draw back is you dont have the ability to count points from far away.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I have a slew of Marlin lever actions in several different cals and I could never bring myself to put a scope on any of em.It just wouldn,t be right.I grew up on irons,but I have to admit,when I look thru my buddies .270,s and 300,s and such,it is amazing on the clarity and light gathering capabiltity they have.But for me,it,s irons all the way.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have a barrel for my 12 gauge slug gun that has open sights for when it's snowing hard or I'm doing drives. Otherwise I want a scope.

One note I should make though. My buddies dad had hunted with his 270 w/ scope for 30 some years. Got every deer he shot at with it. One of those deals where if you heard the shot you knew venison was coming home. Last year he decided it was time to break out the old 94 in 30-30 that he started out with as a kid. Original open sights and all. Missed 3 deer with it on the first day. Said it was his best day deer hunting in years.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I own 2 30-30's, both Winchesters, and both wear some type of peep sight. The 1894 rifle has a Lyman tang sight and the 1894 carbine has a Williams foolproof on it. Both shoot just as good as a scope (for me) out to 75-100 yards - which is a long shot where I hunt. I like to use open sights, but I still also hunt with my Leupold 2-7x33's also on a few rifles.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I own 2 30-30 lever actions, an older Winchester 94 that I mounted a williams peep on and a Glenfield 30AS (Marlin 336 with a different stock) which carries a 4x scope.

I am basically a still-hunter and in the areas I frequent, 75 yards is a fairly long shot. I feel perfectly comfortable with either rifle. Both will shoot about 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards off the bench with the bullets they like.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts