The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the sports show this week watching the guys shoot. I noticed all of them were using rangefinder. Ive never bothered to use one but it got me thinking about them. Should I bother to spend the money on one or forget it. Does anyone here both to use one?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I started using one about 3 years ago. I like them a lot, especially because I hunt different places all the time. I never have to guess on the distance. I always climb the tree range other marks on the ground and make mental notes of the distance that way when a deer comes I know exactly what pin to put on him.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I use one in archery season all the time. When I get into position, I take out the rangefinder and range "target points." I'll range trees at 15, 20, and 30 yards so that I know if deer stop in those areas, I already know how far they are and where to put my pin.

It makes for better lethal shots, quick kills, and no long mornings of chasing blood trails. And it will also prevent me from taking a shot that I think is 30 yards....when in fact it's 35 or 37 yards.

Dave

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I started using one a few years ago in Archery season, like was said above, range trees ect, as soon as I get in the stand to give a more accurate idea of ranges.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I use one and love it... Bushnell.

I range everything while up in the tree. Landmarks within 30-35 yards (my personal limit for shooting at a deer)

Without one, I'd be guessing... and i'm not a walking rangefinder.

·
Banned
462 Posts
With the exception of my bow and all accesories that go with it....my Nikon rangefinder is the only other thing I will NEVER hunt without!

Now having used it, I truly dont know how I ever hunted without it. No more walking off or "guesstimating" distances, 1 push of the button and I know the exact distance. Eventhough I range distances everytime I get in the stand, I still range every deer that comes in whether I plan to shoot or not...just incase for some reason it doesnt work in the heat of the moment.

Now that they can be had for as little as $75-$100 for a descent one....there truly is no reason not to have one.

·
Super Moderator
13,631 Posts
Pacing requires more walking and touching possibilities. The range finder leaves no human scent behind. I have been using range finders since they came out. I still have one of the first ones which you have to turn a dial to line up two images to determine range. It is pretty accurate, but requires more time, however if it is used only to set the distance of trees from ones stand prior to the shot it works well. I shelved it went the more modern ones came out. My second one is a little smaller than a soccer balll. It too is my my shelf for a new smaller one.

·
Registered
899 Posts
This past year was the first year I used one. Its a must have for me now and its cool to range animals that come in.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Rlewis, The only range finders aloud where those who where shooting for fun only. Rnage finders are not aloud at IBO or others money events. All shooters had bino's.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I always use one for bowhunting. I range about a dozen trees and memorize the distances, so I'm not trying to range the deer itself as its coming in.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Just got one for Christmas and I've used it a few times in the extended season. It saves alot of walking around.
I usually pace off a couple of land marks before I go up
the tree, not anymore.
Can't wait to use it for spring turkey.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
it is a must have
I shoot 3d so I fell im pretty good with distance out to 40 yrds but in a tree sometime you're off...
With a rangefinder all the guess work is gone as far as distance goes. Thus allowing an archer to make a more ethical shot. You can get em on craigslist used for pretty cheap

·
Registered
582 Posts
I always have mine with me during the hunt. Like others have said, I'll range the trees and take the guesswork out of the shot. During my 3D shoots it's nice to have one when you miss a shot. That way you can range the target, after the shot, and see why you missed. I have an Archer's Choice.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I started using one about 3 yrs ago. As soon as I get settled into a stand I shoot the range finder on objects all around my stand for about 10 minutes to remind myself of possible shots and the related distances.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i use it to range the surounding trees so i have a pretty good idea of my distances when a deer comes in i don't have to fool around and guess

·
Registered
21,378 Posts
I can judge distance on level groun but that changes significantly up in a tree.I mark a 30 yard perimeter around my tree once I get settled.Several times in the past few years,I've been able to range the actual deer however.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Nikon 550 for me!........ ill turn around before hunting without it!!!!!! only takes a second to be 100% sure of distance to game. long ago i used a 50/2 mini rangefinder by ranging.... you had to dial focus then look at yardage on dial.. it worked......took time....made a difference....but lazers are MUCH better! MUCH quicker! a lot of times game is closer or further than you think. 1/2 yards out to 99........10 out of 10!!!!!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I used to use one a lot more than I do now.my bow shoots the same from 0 to 30 yards,so I don't worry about it as much as I did with slower bows.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts