The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you go out and roost birds in the evening anymore?

I used to love to do this. Made me really anticipate the morning and think of a plan.
Birds don't seem to gobble in the evening here anymore.

Just talked to someone who was hunting WV and said the birds went nuts every evening there.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I tried Monday evening but didn't find any to roost. When it goes to all day is when I usually do this.

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
I don’t do it because like you said they hardly gobble in the evenings anymore. Besides by the time it gets dark I’m in bed already lol

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I do it when I'm up at the 3C grounds for a few days...
Down here in 5C at the moment, rarely have the time as my chances to get out are few and more spontaneous.

It is fun to roost them then spend the rest of the evening plotting the pre-dawn approach and setup.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Yep! I'm out every morning and evening. If I don't find a bird in the evening I hunt somewhere else in the morning. Spend a lot of time riding the roads looking for strutters in the evening too. I probably average a 40% success rate finding and roosting them in the evening.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
I have not gone out to "Roost" the evening location of turkeys in years as I seem to find them in the same locations year after year....Although Tuesday in peruse of my second gobbler I ended up getting too close to the roost before daylight and busted a flock. However, it worked out ok I just had to wait a couple of hours for the gobbler to return.

Also during turkey season I am usually in bed at/near dark and up at 4 AM. Morning comes earlier that it did a few ears ago especially after I string a few 4 AM wake ups together....

Long walk today looking for an OH gobbler.....Heard on gobble far on the other steep hill from me....the hill I walked past on the 2 mile hike in....

Did find some real nice morels though....

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Right on TBrom. I don't do this every day - but this past Sunday I decided to go put one to bed and found a strutter out in the field from 7:00 - 7:30. Got in there and killed him Monday AM. To me, it almost never works like that but I do know that if I didn't drive over there and see him - I would've had my bottom planted somewhere different the next day. The way I see it, if it works once out of every thirty times - it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I do, but I think my success rate is significantly higher on birds that I haven't roosted.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
..sometimes I do...most often NOT.

..I do more of a visual roosting than trying to get them to gobble on roost. If they gobble on their own than thats a bonus.

..usually roosting tells me where NOT to be the next morning LOL

..always seems to work out for me either way.

..Time and putting miles on my truck keep me from doing it like I used to.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Never. Up at 4 every morning is tough enough. I am lucky enough to hunt where there is a good population and I have four properties in close proximity. Just try to find them in the morning.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I don't because only 25-30% of the time did it pay off. I would have others bump the bird because l hunt public land. The gobbler go the other way. Not to mention hens this time of year!

Roasted never equaled Roasted for me...

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
I like to roost them the night before. Often an owl hoot at dark will get them to sound off. I have spots that I almost always know there will be a gobbler roosted. I tend to go to other spots to roost in the evening and if I don't find a bird there then I will go to my known spots.

An example is down at camp, gobblers occasionally roost on the ridge across from my camp. I would say may 30-50% of the mornings there will be a gobbler there. It is a pretty good steep hike to get up there, so I usually will only hunt it if I roost one there.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
No I never do anymore, I used to a lot when I was younger. I don't even worry about getting out when it's dark in the morning. I like to mosey in the woods when it's just light enough to see and listen and maybe softly tree call.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I absolutely like to try and roost them the night prior. If they gobble at a spot where I have access, it usually simplifies life tremendously. That's how I killed a bird on my property in Missouri for their opener: roosted the night before, called at first light, dead bird before 7 AM.

·
Registered
498 Posts
During the weekdays i am limited to hunting before work which means I can hunt till 730 max during the week. I really try to roost birds when I have to do this type of hunt. I worry alot less about it when I can hunt all morning. I just go out and role with punches and that seems to be very successful for me.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Every evening just at dark, I go out on the back deck and smack the grill with a hammer and usually have one sound off.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Here in PA we do, even if they don't gobble we either see them or hear them fly up. Now where we hunt in Missouri there is no way. 27 years and have never had a bird roost on the same ridge.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
My son and I have one roosted for the morning. Going in close as we don't have much time before school/work.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
During the season, I usually owl hoot with my mouth off the back deck each evening. Always when I am hunting the next morning. This covers a long ridge that I hunt. Only 2-3 evenings a season will I actually hear one, and sometimes 2 gobble. If they do, especially more than once, they will be hot in the morning and killable.

Something has changed with turkeys in the last several years, which is a whole other topic for discussion. They gobble far less than they used to, and rarely roost in the same areas. So roosting has been mostly a fruitless effort.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts