The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on to just about any farm and hunting Rabbits and Ringnecks. The farmers never would stop you,but we would always visit them and thank them for letting us use their ground.
We even had farmers who would invite us to come there to deer hunt and tell you the best spots to go to,on their farm or their neighbors property.
There were thousands and thousands of acres of woodlands,owned by big companies that left you hunt on them.
Do you recall going the first day of small game or deer season and hoping to find a parking place at your spot?
So many rabbits and ringnecks that you had better have a box of extra shotgun shells in you car! Not from killing that much but from missing and having fun razing your buddies of family?
Going out in the cold,the Monday after Thanksgiving,in the dark and walking to your spot for Buck,in the SNOW!!!!!! Yep,we use to have snow in them days kids! And it was cold.
When it got just light enough to see a tree from a buck the shooting would start. It was like a war. Deer running all directions,10,15 or even 20 of them together,but all bald headed.
We shot Spikes,but it still was a buck and you were a buck hunter at the local store.Times were simpler then.
Or how about doe license? Remember when your county sold only like 1500 antlerless permits! You were considered very lucky if you received one of them,then you had 3 days after buck to try to get it filled. These 3 days were mostly very cold and the snow had laid for most of buck season and was froze like ice and hard to walk on and very noisy!
The old red and black plaid coats known as a Richey [ for Woolrich],with a red bandana pined to the back with your hunting license pinned to it.
Going home or ,if you had one,back to camp after dark and being so tired you could hardly eat,besides being cold! Thinking' I'll never get up in the morning." But you did it,even before it got light out?
Frozen boots and pants legs,stiff as iron and still damp the next morning!
Those were the days of good friends,good hunts and good people. It is mostly all gone now?
I wish i had a way to run a video disc into my brain so as to show my sons just how it truly was as i started to hunt 56 years ago!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Wow,lots of memories there,willyp! How about those green "insulated" rubber boots from K-Mart. I would wear 3 or 4 pairs of socks and my feet would be frozen by the end of the day! I also remember all the diners along route 8 were packed with hunters on the opening morning of rabbit season.
And sending for the doe license was a major event.We NEVER sent from home,every year someone would make the trip up to camp to drop the envelopes in the courthouse mailbox. And if we didn't get the envelopes returned by the end of that week,we knew we were getting our doe tags!

Bob

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Well, ya got 5 years on me there Ol' willyp, but I sure remember those days. Especially the birds and bunnies... first day of small game was the biggest day for our family, more so than buck season. My dad and brother, grand-pop and all my uncles and cousins hunted the heyday of birds and bunnies in limestone country around Linglestown, Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg and Carlisle. Didn't use dogs; driving to blockers in standing corn was the primary method and the farmers had no problem with it in those days... we had a couple who would even let us know when they were picking so we could block the fields as they picked. After the corn was down, the birds were in the briers and honeysuckle around the woodlots and us boy's would be the dogs and push em out.

I remember how the bunnies would love to sit out in the frosty alfalfa over on Speece's Dairy's farms in Dauphin, made for a great morning of hunting. We also hunted Konhaus Farms and Hemp Brothers properties, and various small farms in the area. I remember grand-pop always picked a few ears of field corn and shoved em in his game pocket, LOL. No turkeys around here back then, but lots of quail.

Weren't many deer around here south of the Blue Ridge in those days and it was something special if you saw one. We weren't much fer deer hunters in those days, but hunted the weekends of buck season up in Hillsgrove at our friends camp. They always had a big group in from Williamsport and we'd drive and drive... saw tons of does but very few bucks... my family didn't hunt does in those days.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
The early 1980s were kinda like that. It didn't all end in the 50s and 60s.

The whole world has changed - not just hunting. Remember in the summer, kids would be outside playing? Sports, capture the flag, ghost in the graveyard. None of that anymore.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
My brother and took a ride in deer season talking about all the cars that would be here and there and you knew he most of them were. Nothing there anymore. The drives you would hear going. The sounds of different guns you would hear in the same areas year after year. More cars then trucks, winter treads and chains. Bucks on hoods or roof. 2 days of doe season. The smell of camp coming in from the cold the smell and cold coming through the door when someone came in. Boy I could go on fro quite a while. We have definitely lost a great blessing. Oh and actually seeing deer. Much simpler time and much better times imo!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
What, you guys don't like todays hunting!
Talk of green scores, inside spreads, food plots
and being tagged out.
Me neither.
I must be getting old because I'd give all my future hunts
for one more opening day with the old man's crew at the
Dirty Dozen Camp + 1 in Sullivan county.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I must be getting old because I'd give all my future hunts
for one more opening day with the old man's crew at the
Dirty Dozen Camp + 1 in Sullivan county.
That would be the camp on Lick Crick Road. I know those clowns. Are you a Reiser? I've been there many times. Have buddies that hunt out of that camp.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
No I'm not. My Dad was one of the original members,
he passed in 1989. Not sure how many of the first Dozen
are still around. Great group of guys.

·
Registered
21,618 Posts
I do miss some of the things.Maybe it was just my age at the time but it was just a special time of year.I still remember the hustle and bustle involved with opening starting the day after thanksgiving.I also miss the days of being able to hunt just about anywhere.On the other hand,I don't miss the crowds and I don't miss the days of trying to grow a spike on every doe that came running by.Personally,I think the good ole days are just beginning and I'm glad my son hit it just right.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Not sure who the first ones are. There are a couple Reisers. They hunt mostly in archery and don't really go up during rifle. There was an older fellow, John LaPenna, who died a few years ago. I believe his son still goes up there. I know a guy named Joe Romano who goes up, but I think he may have started going up in the 1990s. There were also a couple of DeLuccas.

I knew of the camp when I was a kid, in the 1970s and early 1980s. We used to belong to the Potters Club down the road (Lambert Hill). My dad and I used to drive all over that county. Small game hunting, fishing, spotting for deer, etc... Remember seeing that camp all the time and the men in the club saying they were from down our way. It was not until 2001-2002 that I started working with someone that hunted there. Then I put it all together. Small world, it is.

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
In central and southern Lebanon county, pheasants were so thick, Dad and I could "limit" out in time to get me back to the school bus stop. Nothing better than tromping across a frosty meadow just after dawn on a beautiful November morning and kicking up one of those cackling pheasants. My other favorite hunting memory, was Dove hunting at Mt. Aetna Orchards the first few days of September. Another was the guys going small game hunting on Thanksgiving morning back at IGMR along the ranges.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.