The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like a stupid question. We all want to fill a tag. But here is what I am getting at.

So far this season, I took a hunt-cation to Hawaii and a 3 day weekend to AL. In HI I juggled family activities with hunting public land on the slopes of the Mauna Kea volcano. Had a handful of close calls but finally sealed the deal on day 4. Also just came back from my annual 3 day weekend in northern mountains of Alabama. Twice had one inside gun range. The first one hung up just on the other side of a little finger ridge, even though I had called his 4 hens into my lap. The second one came in silent and busted me. Did not fill a tag. These examples are what I refer to as hunting.

On the other hand, I also live in a semi rural community. Know of 8-10 roosting sites that have been regularly used for the past 25 years. Been sitting against the same trees all that time. Sneak in before dark, sit down, wait until flydown, make a call or two and have a good chance of one showing his face within 15 minutes. That's what I refer to as killing.

I heard this expression many years ago.... All dead turkeys look the same. It's the hunt that sets one apart from the other.

Any more, I get more enjoyment out of playing the game than killing. Maybe it's because I'm getting old and don't have many more close encounters in the bank or the will soon not be able to hump it up and down the mountains.

Don't get me wrong, to each his own. But I'd rather fool with one and not kill him, than to shoot one off the roost and go home.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Sounds like a stupid question. We all want to fill a tag. But here is what I am getting at.

So far this season, I took a hunt-cation to Hawaii and a 3 day weekend to AL. In HI I juggled family activities with hunting public land on the slopes of the Mauna Kea volcano. Had a handful of close calls but finally sealed the deal on day 4. Also just came back from my annual 3 day weekend in northern mountains of Alabama. Twice had one inside gun range. The first one hung up just on the other side of a little finger ridge, even though I had called his 4 hens into my lap. The second one came in silent and busted me. Did not fill a tag. These examples are what I refer to as hunting.

On the other hand, I also live in a semi rural community. Know of 8-10 roosting sites that have been regularly used for the past 25 years. Been sitting against the same trees all that time. Sneak in before dark, sit down, wait until flydown, make a call or two and have a good chance of one showing his face within 15 minutes. That's what I refer to as killing.

I heard this expression many years ago.... All dead turkeys look the same. It's the hunt that sets one apart from the other.

Any more, I get more enjoyment out of playing the game than killing. Maybe it's because I'm getting old and don't have many more close encounters in the bank or the will soon not be able to hump it up and down the mountains.

Don't get me wrong, to each his own. But I'd rather fool with one and not kill him, than to shoot one off the roost and go home.
I still love shooting big longbeards but what I love more now is calling one in for someone else to shoot. If I am by myself I put way to much pressure on myself to kill that bird. It actually hurts my brain trying to figure out a turkey I cant kill the first time I hunt him. Those turkeys I hunt more just to try to kill them and many times I never did kill the turkey that would not come in. Now I really like taking someone out, sitting back and do the calling. No pressure on me either way. I swear I have more enjoyment watching other people kill gobblers I called in than me killing one.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. In some ways we are forced to call in turkeys for other people just to become a better turkey hunter. That’s what you get when the state limit you to one or maybe two tags.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Just how many tags would it take to make you happy? 5, 6, 10? You have the opportunity to take 3 turkeys in PA, if that isn't enough, there are other states. I swear, the more Pennsylvanians get them more they want.

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
I do almost 100% of my Spring Gobbler hunting alone as I do not hunt fall turkeys even when they walk under my archery tree stand in turkey season. I do totally enjoy the finding, the calling, hearing responses from the gobblers and hens as well and luring a mature gobbler into easy gun range.

I have never and never will shoot a turkey out of a tree, from the road, over a dog or with a rifle not even if I though it was the grand champaign of gobblers. The thrill to me is believing I outsmarted him in his own environment where he was most of the advantages.

If he don't come in that day...there is most always another day or year. If I lose to his wit which is often, I will change my tactics next trip or later in the morning. I hunt hard and put all my effort in harvesting a mature gobbler each and ever trip, but there is more to hunting than just bringing home game. I take pride in just knowing I gave it my best effort win or lose.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just how many tags would it take to make you happy? 5, 6, 10? You have the opportunity to take 3 turkeys in PA, if that isn't enough, there are other states. I swear, the more Pennsylvanians get them more they want.
Who suggested that?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You did. " That’s what you get when the state limit you to one or maybe two tags".

·
Banned
89 Posts
It's Pretty Simple

X, if you hunt, you kill...pretty simple in my mind. Listen, you could replace your shotgun for a camera...ya know...problem solved! :surprise2:

·
Registered
5,779 Posts

I agree with that. The hunt is what memories are made of, long after the kill or not or whether it's me or someone else pulling the trigger.

That being said, I'm not against the easy, quick kills because there will be enough of the tough ones to bring you back to reality.

That made me think of another expression I just heard recently from an old turkey slayer...... "It's all about the HUNT..... the KILL just means you WON!!"

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You did. " That’s what you get when the state limit you to one or maybe two tags".
Sorry maybe I should have said I use the opportunity to call up turkeys for others to become a better hunter. The essence of my post is that I enjoy hunting more than killing. Musta missed that point too.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No reason to be sorry, it appeared to me that you thought 3 birds a year was not enough. A miscommunication.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
The kill!!!! Im out there to kill.

I take walks by myself or with family to enjoy the woods and nature. Scout and walk a lot all year. Only so i can be more efficient at killing and eating tasty animals

I do enjoy nature very much but its still about the kill for me!

I look fondly on hunts that I miss or get busted or something else going wrong. I ENJOY all aspects of it BUT its about the kill....Lol!

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
That being said, I'm not against the easy, quick kills because there will be enough of the tough ones to bring you back to reality.

I had a run going over 3 seasons here in Pa where I killed a Longbeard on 5 consecutive hunts, and they were all chiefs. 5 hunts....5 kills.....I thought I was finally on to something.
Then all the sudden the turkeys decided it was time for me to go back to school, and I couldn't buy a workable bird for weeks!

I have been known to take things personal if I find a particular bird I can't kill. I've had buddies tell me where one was screaming hot and heavy for a few days, and still I'd refuse to leave "My" bird and give up until I killed him.

So as much as I still like cracking gobbler skulls, I guess it's more about the hunt.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I love it all; the scouting, planning, hunting and shooting. I can't get enough of the whole process. Two years ago I had one get under my skin that I swore was going to be an ole limbhanger. On the last day of the season and the 12th day I hunted him it finally worked out and I dropped the hammer. When I rolled him over and saw his 3/4" spurs I was totally shocked. He was definitely the most bittersweet bird I've ever killed because it became so personal. He was the king of that hollow.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
For me as long as I can remember it has been the thrill of the chase. And when the killing is over some times it saddens me that I will no longer be able to play the game with that particular bird. Like the old saying goes " If I could breath life back into him, I would and then hunt him again tomorrow"

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
"Do you prefer hunting or killing?"

Well, the "kill" is the culmination of the "hunt". They sort of go hand in hand. I don't want to kill a bird without the enjoyment of hunting him...as in a bushwhack, limbing one or such. Or even one of those birds that come in so darn quick that you barely have time to set up and BOOM...we all get a kamikaze bird every so often. That's probably why I don't use deeks or blinds...personal enjoyment of the various aspects of the hunt. If the "kill" isn't the culmination of the "hunt" to you, leave your gun at home and take a picture instead, or just jump up and say "boom" when he's in range. Fullfan referenced that Ben Rogers Lee quote...I've always liked that.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sport hunting is a package deal. It is hard to separate the hunting from the killing. Otherwise you would call it finding and watching which is a fine pass time, but it is not hunting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts