The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using one of mine,yesterday. What a task to push a saboted bullet down the bore??????
It was like using a half cooked noodle for a rod?My one gun has a metal rod,aluminium,i tried it and what a difference!
Am i wrong or are these fibreglass rods just for show? I won't use one again. It was too hard on the hands and arms,not fun!!

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
I use a plastic rod when hunting. Had a wood one break when loading for a possible second shot.... as the buck watched.

I use a brass tee handled rod on the range.

So yes, for me, the wood is for show.

Just preference.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Wood for hunting, if your using loads that are that hard to ram home for hunting it doesn't matter if you hit the heart or dead center geez! Muzzles coned no short starter required......

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
If wood won't take it down, the patch/ball combo is too tight. However, like everyone else I'm guilty of developing a target combo that best works with a range rod.

My big game first shot is the target combo. All that follow will seat with wood.

I've also coned. I don't notice a big enough difference to worry about it. Of course the cone has to be square. I believe a PRB overall is more forgiving. My inability to hold perfectly still, not so much.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Never had any trouble with the fiberglas rod I bought from TC, some years ago.
Always carried some homemade "moosemilk" that was used after every second shot for cleaning, whether at the range or on the hunt.
My mentor taught me how to use a sabot on the hunt. I would put in the powder. Then run the sabot down the barrel separately. Then dropped in the round ball down the barrel separately, and tapping it into the sabot sitting on the powder. Never ran a sabot and a ball down together. Avoided any jamming in the barrel during a hunt or at the range.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a fiberglass rod on one of my muzzleloaders and it seems to be fairly stiff. I make my own short starters and drill a hole about 1/4 inch deep in the ball and use it over the end of the ramrod as an assist to seat the bullet. That way I can use the other hand in about the middle of the ramrod to help keep things straight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts