The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never did. Today, as I just settled into my spot, watching the snow come down, I reached into my backpack to retrieve my quiver, and reached too far. Got a nasty nick on the tip of my trigger finger, bled quite a bit. I put compression on it and held it up higher than my heart to make it stop, but it was too sore and too cold to be of much good. Left the woods after only 2 hours. I picked up some antiseptic cream and bandaids today, to make up an emergency pack.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I for some reason always carry a roll of electrical tape...alot of uses stops bleeding along with alittle tp...can do emergency fixes to

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Generally have a needle and some thread along with me. I've had to do stiches on several occassions. Also carry a small scapel blade. I forgot my knife once and used to to field dress a deer.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Actually last year for Christmas I got an emergency medical pack that fits easily into your backpack. I also have one for the dogs when rabbit hunting that I keep in the truck.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Just a suggestion, but I recommend anybody over 30 carry a couple aspirin with them. How many times every year you hear of some hunter not coming home at night due to a heart attack in the woods. If you beleive you are having a heart attack you just chew them up and they could save your life to hunt another day.

I usually carry a small survival/1st aid kit with me at all times in the woods with a compass, aspirin, fire starter, butterfly bandages, a whistle, and an emergency blanket. It weighs next to nothing, and could make a long stay outdoors a little less uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I always carry first aid and paper towels and rubber gloves when ,i go out hunting even some water in my truck..I also use my GPS for tracking my deer...you never know when your going to get turned around with all the excitement going on and its easy to do...Rusty

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Whenever I hunt someplace other than my private spots, like SGLs I always carry a small first aid pak. I even oicked up a quik clot trauma bandage in case something really nasty happens...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I always carry band aids and medical tape. And recently got the quick clot as well. I had the same thing happen as wildatheart a few years ago and I was happy I had the band aids and tape.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
arrowhead said:
Generally have a needle and some thread along with me. I've had to do stiches on several occassions. Also carry a small scapel blade. I forgot my knife once and used to to field dress a deer.
See...I'm not the only one woho practices doing sutures!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use to carry electrical tape when I worked with metal. You can wrap it tight to stop the bleeding (like a compression bandage). I don't carry it now though. I do carry para-cord and a fire starter. Wouldn't consider either "medical" but if your in a bad way, essential.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I always carry first aid supplied, especially blood stopper bandages, Quick clot and compression bandging materials. Being the klutz that I am, I have had to use them on occasion. My mother always said that I wasn't to be trusted with anything sharp! I proved her right more than once! Now it is my hunting partner, my son-in-law, that can not be trusted with anything sharp, and has seventeen stiches to prove it! Tried to cut a deers throat and sliced into his forearm (length wise). Lucky he did not bleed to death.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts