The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I asked is cause i was checked last year by a WCO only wareing an orange cap. Was a real nice guy n every thing was fine. It was in the middle of rifle season. He walked through the field and checked us out. I was gona ask him but didnt want to ruffle the feathers. Was a nice guy but i think he broke the law. Think I will take a phone pic next time n post it. If i see him like that again. Just woundering. Thanks

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I don't think they do. I have seen them wthout any orange. I think it would be good judgement for them to where more orange. But then again its like all LE. DO as I say not as I do.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Was he hunting? If he wasn't I don't see why it would be illegal for him to not wear any orange at all, if he sees fit.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When he came through the field like that i thought this guys brave. lol I never seen a law that singled them out from the requirements. I think it says anyone in the woods that time needs 250 sq inches head chest back combined.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No he wasnt hunting. Was a nice guy tho. Just woundering why the law wouldnt apply to them. For saftey atleast.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Got checked last year while bear hunting and both WCO's had orange vests and caps.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
The law does apply, IF HE WAS HUNTING! There is no law that says you have to wear any amount of orange to walk in the woods/field etc. during hunting season if you aren't actively participating in a hunt. It may be recommended for safety reasons, but it's not the law. If he was hunting(which he wasn't) then he would need the same amount of orange you, I, or anyone else would need.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I think you wandered too far!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all who replied. And I do wander alot John prolly in places I shouldnt atleast thats what my wife says. lol Thanks

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Borden811 said:
The law does apply, IF HE WAS HUNTING! There is no law that says you have to wear any amount of orange to walk in the woods/field etc. during hunting season if you aren't actively participating in a hunt. It may be recommended for safety reasons, but it's not the law. If he was hunting(which he wasn't) then he would need the same amount of orange you, I, or anyone else would need.
You Sure about that??

There is a place and time were ANYONE be it they are just out walking, looking at birds, turning over rocks, or something else other then Hunting.....
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2009/page20.pdf

Except on Sundays, to be present on state game lands from Nov. 15
through Dec.15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or
trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of
fluorescent orange material on the head, chest and back combined,
or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. Orange
material must be visible 360 degrees. Persons using shooting ranges
are exempted.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Right, and the WCO had a hat on, so even if he was on game lands he wasn't breaking any laws. Maybe I should have stated moere clearly what I meant. I was aware of that law, but the original poster made no mention of being on game lands. I was replying specifically to his situation.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Borden811 said:
Right, and the WCO had a hat on, so even if he was on game lands he wasn't breaking any laws. Maybe I should have stated moere clearly what I meant. I was aware of that law, but the original poster made no mention of being on game lands. I was replying specifically to his situation.
But what you Did say was ...

Quote:There is no law that says you have to wear any amount of orange to walk in the woods/field etc. during hunting season if you aren't actively participating in a hunt.

Which is saying there is No law what so ever on the books for any type of land....but there IS!

When you post things like that, that there is no law.. New folks who NEVER Read the Comic Book, pass it off as just that, there is NO Law and they take it as Gospel Truth, without Reading the Comic Book for themselves!

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I said woods/field, referring to where the OP was hunting. I did not say that you didn't have to wear it on gamelands. Kinda like the new license display deal. Since it isn't printed on the license anymore, people think they don't have to do it. I guess if one wants to take to heart info they read on a website, from someone they don't know, without going through the proper channels to find out for sure, they might deserve it if they get a citation

·
Registered
25,837 Posts
Why not require WCOs to be in FO from head to toe when they're in the field, wear a strobe light beanie and clang cymbals as they walk?

·
Super Moderator
14,542 Posts
Even if the WCO had been on the game lands during the period when orange is required of everyone else he/she would not be required to wear it.

This is also part of the Game and Wildlife Code, for that very reason.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Sec. 104. Title not to apply in certain cases.

None of the provisions or requirements of this title shall be construed to apply to any member of the commission, or any of its lawfully qualified representatives or duly appointed officers or any other person charged with the enforcement of this title, when acting in any manner for the commission. This title shall not be construed to impose any liability upon any person while acting in a lawful manner and within the limitations of this title or performing any lawful duty or function imposed or authorized by this title. </span>

There are times when you have to be outside the normal laws to do affective law enforcement even though there would be some inherent risks involved. The decision of the WCO to wear or not to wear orange is one they have to measure with the risks of the law enforcement situation at the time. Most of us will be wearing a sufficient amount of orange to be pretty comfortable with not being mistaken for game when we are a field. When we are checking hunters near the roads we sometimes don’t wear as much orange as we would when out in the woods.

Usually when we are a field and aren’t wearing orange we are in the surveillance mode, not moving about and pretty much hidden from everyone. We also usually have the orange hidden on our person where we can put it on when the time is right to announce our presence.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Thanks RSB, that pretty much sums this one up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts