The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been bugging me ever since I bought this gun. Its a Savage model 24 series P, 22 mag over 20 ga, and the subject words are stamped across the barrel.

Wondering if anyone knows why that "warning" is on the gun - are they worried I will get konked in the head by the scope?

Also wondering if you shoot the shotgun, will that knock the scope off ?

Scope is attached to gun via groove mounts.

Please let me know if anyone has experience with this type of gun.

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
When that gun was made the 3/4 inch tube and mounts were made for 22s and the recoil of the shot gun pretty much trashed them.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - Interesting - thanks. So with the new sturdy mounts, would this no longer be a concern?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
There still isn't much there to grab onto.

Have your ever shot it with the rifle sights, both rifle and shotgun? How close were they?

My brothers gun was virtually unusable. Both barrels shot so far off from each other.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I put the scope on, I have just been shooting the rifle - headed to the range now to see what it does.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Isn't it strange the maker would put groves for a scope? I have a tikki over/under, with the power cranked up and fire the shotgun you only forget once.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
biggtrout said:
Since I put the scope on, I have just been shooting the rifle - headed to the range now to see what it does.
I don't think my brothers problem was the rule, but rather an exception. His was also a 222 over 20. And I want to say it was tapped, but I'm not sure now.

I would crank it tight and go shoot it. Put a pen mark where your bases are for reference. If you see any movement, quit shooting and ask a smith what he suggests.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
IMO, it doesnt look like the shallow groves that the base clamps to will give a solid mount. It looks like the bases could slip out of the groves during recoil. I dont think Savage felt that the shooter would get hit in the eye with the scope. Their concer was the scope/mounts flying off of the gun.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the range results are in.

Torqued down all the bolts. Sighted in the .22 mag first and had a 3 shot grouping at 60 yards within the triangle.

Shotgun at 25 yards was a tad low, but on the paper.

Went back and took two shots with the .22 mag, both were way low this time and slightly to the right.

Looks like there is just too much shock with the shotgun.

Thanks everybody for all the input.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
I wouldn't give up that easy.
A bit of cleaning, stoning, maybe lapping and then some red loc tight and I bet you would be surprised.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm...ok.

Cleaning and loc tight I can handle - what is lapping and stoning?

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
The grooves were milled into the top of the barrel to keep the structural integrity intact,as drilling and tapping would be unsafe. And with no way of measuring eye relief the grooves allow the shooter to place the scope where it suits them. The problem arises when over years small dings,dirt and rust get into the slots preventing a good clamping surface and letting the scope move during firing.
By taking a small triangular shaped stone you can remove these imperfections allowing for a better clamping.
And after you mount the rings using a 1" diameter piece of steel and some compound you lap the bearing surfaces of the rings removing any high spots and again achieving a better clamping surface.
Its easier than it sounds and should get you some improved results.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same gun,what would happen is the scope/mounts would slide back in the groove when the shotgun was fired.the amount was almost unnoticeable untill you fired about dozen shells.I fixed mine by putting a small dimple in each groove "behind"the front scope mount even on both sides and using rings that were split lengthwise,sorry dont remember the name of the rings.I never had anymore problems even shooting 3 in mags for fall turkey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts