The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve decided to hunt with my bow again this year after taking a few years off. I haven’t shot it in about 2 years. The string is probably 5 years old and maybe has close to 1000 shots on it. I kept it waxed and it looks fine.

How do I know when it’s time for a new string? It’s a G5 Quest Rogue, single cam.

I’m in the Lehigh Valley, so I’d be going to either Gary’s or Archery Addictions. Would they help reset my peep, knock height, etc and get me retuned after a string change?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Check the servings at the cam's as well for any sings of wear or unraveling. If the string looks good with no strands cut or broke, your fine. Now the best way to wax the string, take a piece of serving thread wrap it around (just a loop) the bow string and run it up and down on the string, not the serving's with little tension to get the old wax off. Then rub on the wax with your fingers. Check your cams for any burr's (sharp edges) real carefully.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I'd suggest you replace your string and cables. Even a string that looks good degrades over time no matter how good they are stored or maintained. It's generally suggested to replace string and cables every two or three years.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm with Fall G on that. From your description it's better to replace before the season than to have that 5YO 12pt with the massive base and double brow tine all lined up and your bow goes KA-FLUIE!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I’ve decided to hunt with my bow again this year after taking a few years off. I haven’t shot it in about 2 years. The string is probably 5 years old and maybe has close to 1000 shots on it. I kept it waxed and it looks fine.

How do I know when it’s time for a new string? It’s a G5 Quest Rogue, single cam.

I’m in the Lehigh Valley, so I’d be going to either Gary’s or Archery Addictions. Would they help reset my peep, knock height, etc and get me retuned after a string change?
I think most pro shops will reset everything back the way you want it. I had a string put on Thurs. New loop, new kisser, cat tails, and they checked the bow over, tiller, centershot. Came home, put an arrow on, and shot it in the center of target.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I think most pro shops will reset everything back the way you want it. I had a string put on Thurs. New loop, new kisser, cat tails, and they checked the bow over, tiller, centershot. Came home, put an arrow on, and shot it in the center of target.
Another thing that must be said (as it's always is part of the discussion), A pro-shop putting everything on and squaring and centering is NOT tuning. It's a STARTING point. You need to tune it or get someone to help. It's really not hard at all and actually fun....plus you learn.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I used to French tune and broadhead tune, that was about the extent. I never did anything past that. I don’t know how to add twists or yoke tune or anything like that. Just know to to fine tune the rest and limb bolts really. I’m a little concerned I only have like 8 weeks before season, hope it’s like riding a bike... I just want to fill my freezer though and won’t take any shots past 25 yards.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Shooting a compound is like riding a bike. You'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
It is a good thing you are addressing your concerns this far before the season...as you have time to get everything to perfection. Also is it good you have the desire to get back into the sport. Good shooting form can come back rather quickly with practice....

I am not one to replace my string or vehicle tires unless they show signs of wear.....To my liking if a string is not frayed, has not been allowed to totally dry out and has been stored in a controlled environment I have no problems using it. I would visually check the strings and cables before and after every session......

Be certain to check the string and cable where they make contact with the cams and cables for fraying or a cut strand. Also check for nicks or burrs on the cams and/or wheels which can cause problems.

From another point of view I always keep a prestreached, used, and in good condition string and cable with a peep and string loop in place just in case I would have to replace same because of a mid season crisis. I can replace the string and cable, take a few shots and be back in business. A trip to the archery shop during the season can put one out of the woods for an extended period of time....

If you confirm all is in good shape you might entertain spending that money on an upgrade of other bow accessories such, as drop away rest, sights, release or other things if needed......or desired.....

With all that said, if the current string condition is on you mind and interfering in your mind set by all means replace it. I don't know, if your current set up is tuned to hit the point of aim with broad heads, but as said above the archery shop supplying you with string and cables can properly set the peep, loop etc, but you will still have tune your bow and shoot your broad heads.......But isn't shooting the bow part of the fun? Good luck...Good hunting..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts