The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not a small game hunter, I trap mostly so excuse my potential ignorance on this subject. First thing this morning I was walking out a path along a clearcut looking for cat tracks when I flushed a grouse from a small brush pile beside the path; right after that one took off another one on the other side of the path flushed out of a tree and followed the first one. Do they noramlly roost in trees or is that unusual? Thanks

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Yes indeed. They love cedars and hemlocks. I'm more surprised when I flush one from the ground walking into my deer stand a hour or more before the sun come up.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Back in my pre-dog days, I was hunting a patch of pines where I had previously flushed grouse. I was sneaking along carefully, intently scanning the ground in front of me, when a grouse suddenly flushed from a tree branch about 18" from my right ear. Not only did I not get a shot, I thought I might have to go back to the house for a change of underwear.

So to answer your question directly, yes, grouse will definitely roost in and flush from trees. But I still think it's cheating when they do so.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
SnapperTrapper,
If you would like to learn more about Grouse and their
biological way of living, pick up the book, A Grouse Hunters Guide by Walrod. Lots of factual education about Grouse in that particular book, another good book is, Grouse by
John Alden Knight. Grouse live in patterns feeding and mating. Once you learn how a Grouse lives, the Grouse is a lot easier to understand and to hunt.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
They will roost in trees. Sometimes on overcast froggy or rainy days they will just stay in trees all day. I was in a patch of really thick pines in one of my coverts this year and the dog made a bird, but she was running around with her nose straight up in the air. I searched the trees for about 5 mins and saw nothing. I took one step and the bird flushed from a branch not 6 inches above my head. Needless to say I didn't get a shot off. It shows you should always trust your dog!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts