The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems as though the farmers in Ohio don't suffer crop damage. Ohio DNR put together a pretty good program to unite both farmers and hunters and the farmers didn't want any part. Ohio DNR discontinued the program this year due to lack of interest from the Ohio Farm Bureau.

http://huntohiofarms.com/
The HuntOhioFarms.com website was launched in August 2009 with the expectation of addressing crop damage by deer, while at the same time increasing hunting opportunities. This was a joint effort between the Ohio Farm Bureau (OFB) and the Division of Wildlife (DOW). While the concept was not new, uniting hunters and farmers using the Internet was. After the first year, more than 9,000 hunters had enrolled as compared to the 83 farmers in the 4-county test area. In spite of very little interest by the farming community, the OFB urged the DOW to expand the program to 38 counties across southeast Ohio in 2010. At the end of year two, an additional 5,000 hunters had enrolled. Only 40 additional farmers signed up in spite of direct mailings from the DOW and strong marketing efforts by the OFB. Farmers also showed little interest in participating in post-season surveys to evaluate program strengths and weaknesses.

Based on the program results over the past two years, it appears that many farmers simply are not interested or willing to allow additional deer hunting as a means of managing deer and ultimately crop damage on their property. While we value and respect their opinion, it makes little sense to continue funding this program which currently serves no purpose but to unnecessarily raise expectations of Ohio's hunters. Therefore, until we have concrete evidence that there is real interest on the part of the OFB to use this tool to address deer crop damage, the HuntOhioFarms.com website will cease to exist. The DOW will continue to work with the OFB, as we have in the past, to find practical solutions to deer crop damage using deer hunting and other means as needed.

We want to thank you for your interest in this program and for your continued support of the Division of Wildlife's deer program. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and look forward to offering you an alternative to HuntOhioFarms.com in the near future.

Makes me wonder just how bad farmers here in PA want the deer killed for crop damage? Would or do we have the same results?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I had a farmer tell me one evening:
"If you see a deer, you better shoot it. If you see another, you shoot it too. Just keep shooting till you run out of bullets or arrows, and I'll run the tractor up to help ya out".

This man shared a property line with a landowner (not a farmer) who didn't allow any hunting, and had substantial losses every year. Ground was heavily posted, but he allowed hunting to those who asked in advance and didn't act like idiots. He had some damage done to his house some years ago (by hunters) and still was a little hesitant to just let anyone run around.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quackmaster4 said:
"If you see a deer, you better shoot it. If you see another, you shoot it too. Just keep shooting till you run out of bullets or arrows, and I'll run the tractor up to help ya out".

This man shared a property line with a landowner (not a farmer) who didn't allow any hunting, and had substantial losses every year. Ground was heavily posted, but he allowed hunting to those who asked in advance and didn't act like idiots. He had some damage done to his house some years ago (by hunters) and still was a little hesitant to just let anyone run around.
I can see a farmer in that situation wanting as many deer killed as possible.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
The two farms I hunt on are the same. In fact, if they ever thought I passed up a deer, waiting for a bigger one, I doubt I'd be invited back. They want them dead, no matter how. The more you kill, te more they want you to come back, and the happier they are.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I grew up hunting a friend of the families farm. Every time I went up to groundhog hunt in the summer, he told me to shoot some deer. He wasn't saying it in a joking manner either. The deer used to destroy his alfalfa fields. Wasn't uncommon to see 50-70 deer in his backfield when spotting in the fall.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Many farmers also enjoy harvesting large bucks so inviting people in to just shoot deer doesn't sit well with most. Maybe if they made it a "doe only" type deal more farmers might jump on board.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You can't generalize farmers into one group, just like anybody else. Some farmers hate all wildlife and don't enjoy even seeing it. Some love wildlife and enjoy hunting/wildlife watching. Most are somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
21,426 Posts
I talked with a guy up the road from me who leases out close to 100 acres to one of my buddies who plants corn there.The farm is mostly fields but it's enrolled in the game/farm program and open to hunting.My buddy who farms it,loses at least 25% of his yield every year from deer and bear.Anyway,I was asking the owner of this property how they did this year and he was telling me that they killed a couple nice bucks but refused to shoot any doe because there weren't many around.It's all a matter of perspective.My buddy loses thousands of dollars a year.I see 30-40 deer in those fields all summer long but someone else claims there isn't enough.My guess would be,if it was his money being put into the ground there would be enough deer.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
47studebaker said:
did they check to see if the Ohio farmers were leasing their land during hunting season?
Excellent point! Im sure that played greatly into the lack of interest on farmers parts.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dce said:
I talked with a guy up the road from me who leases out close to 100 acres to one of my buddies who plants corn there.The farm is mostly fields but it's enrolled in the game/farm program and open to hunting.My buddy who farms it,loses at least 25% of his yield every year from deer and bear.Anyway,I was asking the owner of this property how they did this year and he was telling me that they killed a couple nice bucks but refused to shoot any doe because there weren't many around.It's all a matter of perspective.My buddy loses thousands of dollars a year.I see 30-40 deer in those fields all summer long but someone else claims there isn't enough.My guess would be,if it was his money being put into the ground there would be enough deer.
Very True! all a matter of perspective I guess.. I just wonder how many of the farmers belonging to the Pa Farm Bureau crying about crop damage allow some type of hunting on their property?

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
quackmaster4 said:

Some have the problem of owning alot of acreage but most is cleared...no woods. When the neighbors all post, especially to doe hunting, it can become an issue for that farmer.

·
Registered
21,426 Posts
I doubt he actually pays a fee to lease it,although I could be wrong.The landowner just wants to see the ground worked.This year I'm sure he did pretty good with the yield he got.Corn prices were way up due to the rest of the country being in a drought.Still,even if he cleared 50k after everything,he still lost around 13k to the deer and bear.That's a lot of money and it would be worse if we had a drought or if the price of corn wasn't up.What's an exceptable loss out of your paycheck?If you make enough to pay your bills,would it be ok if someone took the rest or do you feel entitled to keep more of what you worked for?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dce said:
I doubt he actually pays a fee to lease it,although I could be wrong.The landowner just wants to see the ground worked.This year I'm sure he did pretty good with the yield he got.Corn prices were way up due to the rest of the country being in a drought.Still,even if he cleared 50k after everything,he still lost around 13k to the deer and bear.That's a lot of money and it would be worse if we had a drought or if the price of corn wasn't up.What's an exceptable loss out of your paycheck?If you make enough to pay your bills,would it be ok if someone took the rest or do you feel entitled to keep more of what you worked for?
Id prefer not to lose anything from my paycheck but as it stands its close to 40% being taken every 2 weeks....

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
i hunt ohio quite a bit, and i can tell you it's alot like pa. every farmer gets asked to hunt...alot. if a farmer allows hunting, his farm gets hunted and theres no program needed to get hunters & landowners together.

if a farmer has an open door policy here, his farm gets pounded. it's no different in ohio, despite tougher tresspassing laws, and required written permission. locals know where they're allowed and where they're not.

·
Registered
21,426 Posts
All a matter of perspective Lonzo.What I consider plenty may not be plenty to the next guy.I drive by there every morning around 6:45 am to finish my coffee after dropping my daughter off at the bus stop.It's not unusual to see 30-40 deer in those fields and dozens more in the fields next to it.I consistantly kill deer around there and it takes me very little time to do it.Last year I ran into this guy's cousin.He still lives with his father which is right next to a big cornfield,surrounded by all woods.The guy hadn't seen a deer all year and was disgusted.I seriously don't even know how that could be possible.I hunted three days this rifle season within one mile of that place.I had my 7 year old with me every day I hunted and we saw and killed deer every single time we went out.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts