The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out here,please?
We hunt in 2-E &4-D,buck and doe.It is part of DMA-2 area!
How do or are we,supposed handle the carcass ?What do you do with the bones?
Take it to such and such deer processor?{Can't spend the money on a processor!}[ Retired]
Have it tested? How do you get it tested? We process ours! If i would have to pay some one to do this i could not afford to shot a deer???
What would you see in a deer,before you shot it,to tell you it should be checked? If i were to shoot a deer that looked sick there is no way i am going to put my hands into its insides,gloves or not.
Another question? What happens to the deer that have this illness? Do they just drop dead or do they stumble around in the woods and fields for a long time?
If you shoot a deer and it looks like it needs checked,how long would it take to find out if it has CWD? If it is a fast enough check out and is positive,will the PGC give you the ok to go for another deer? I doubt if there is any system to check one out with in the time that hunting season last.
Also,what do you do with the meat while you await the results?
Heck,i would not in any way eat it!
Heavens,folks get sick and die from dirty lettuce and meat that are inspected,so why would you take the chance on it????

My new Moto,i found on the net:
IF YOU WANT TO FIGHT ME, JUST REMEMBER, I AM OLD FOR A REASON.

·
Registered
#FJB
2,878 Posts
Hi WIlly!

Im in the same boat as you, as I just moved and will be primarily hunting WMU 4D. Here's how I am going about this. If the deer looks sick (generally a deer with CWD looks terrible, you will likely know it when you see it) dont shoot it. If you do shoot it and feel as though it may have CWD, call the PGC right away and they will come check it out. From there, they will advise you on the next steps. Supposedly deer with CWD have terrible looking fur (mange) and are usually very lethargic and tend to wobble while walking. In terms of getting a new tag after using a tag on a deer that tests positive for CWD, I have no idea. As info, dont forget, since we are in the DMA-2 area, you can get doe tags that can be used ALL season long even when regular doe season is out. Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I have been in the heart of it for last 2 years. A new awakening as mentioned if it looks sick I would not shoot. I went to a PGC meeting last year on it. You can not take spinal parts and head out of the DMA for any reason. If you live in the area you wont have a problem. If you live outside of it and hunt inside of it then you have to butcher your deer inside it. De-bone the meat and take the parts mentioned to a desiganated disposal site.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
WRONG INFO AGAIN!

Numerous butchers OUTSIDE DMA2 where animal can be taken to. I realize you will not be doing it, but many do!
Otherwise, as noted, there are dumpsters located throughout where parts can be taken.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Just the part where you say NO PARTS FOR ANY REASON can be removed from DMA2. That's why I noted of the outside butchers vs dumpsters and him not taking to butchers. Just trying to keep clear to those reading late.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts