The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else going up this year?
I'm starting to get still organized. This will be my third year going up.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
DIY in Canada? You still have to book with a guide and stay at the guides place right? He just lets you go out hunting yourself and do things your way I assume.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've found one in Ontario thats unguided tent camps for $3500 archery and is stay as long as you want in season.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
*Moose said:
DIY in Canada? You still have to book with a guide and stay at the guides place right? He just lets you go out hunting yourself and do things your way I assume.
no, you can diy. in quebec you need to use the services of at least 2 local businesses though. buy your liscence & groceries at one place & rent a cabin from another place & you can diy the rest of the way. most outfitters won't tell you cuz they want all your bussiness. but thinking you're gonna go up, drive around till you find a good spot, then get out & hunt, is probably going to be pretty frustrating. in many of the accessable areas, the locals have things pretty well tied up. in the more remote areas, you will be by yourself, but it isn't like going to the big woods of pa to hunt whitetails. think about the thickest woods you can find, add swamps and lakes, and an animal that can weigh half a ton, and you'll get the picture. not saying it can't be done, but it is not as easy as just going deer hunting here. the op proved it can be done, and on a good bull, he's the man!

for anyone interested in a fully guided moose hunt, taggart bay lodge in quebec does them for $2865. not sure what kind of success rate they have, but i do know taggart bay is a quality operation run by good folks.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Interesting. Moose hunting is never actually DIY though. It takes more than just one person to take care of a moose. Especially in September and October when the weather can turn warm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Boy I'd like to do another moose hunt I did one many years back in Quebec. I can't do it this year as I'm doing my annual elk hunt. Is this a archery hunt? If anyone would like to talk to me about this, let me know.. Ed

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya they fly you in and say se-ya in a week!

Killed this one a couple years ago and called a bull last year but it was smaller and didn't present much of a shot. I'm going in for a full 2 weeks this year. We have 2 bull tags. Hopefully going to put some meat on the ground.. Personally I hope a calf walks by...I'm going to let the air out of it!

Just got new Matthews helium...gonna give it a try this time! The whole hunt from my door back to my door cost me less than 2500/person...lol Let the good times roll!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Great pics! Thanks for sharing. I'd be very interested in a hunt like this. I LOVE DIY hunts & regularly go out west for elk this way. Dont need a guide. I find in much more rewarding to do it all on my own

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To get permits in Ontario you need to go through an outfitter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts