The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been tossing around the idea of making a ladder stand possibly a double man stand. Wood sounds like the easiest approach but I'm aiming for a stand with longevity and something I don't really have to worry about becoming a safety concern. Anybody have any suggestions on what to do and how to do it? Maybe some pictures to get my gears turning?

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I go thru the wood stand thought process every year, but every time it just makes more sense to me to get the nice double ladders from Sportsmens Guide. $ 139+heavy item shipping.

It would not be hard to mimic that design with wood, but like you mention I would get leary of it after a few years.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
No pictures, but a friend built one. simple 2x4 design, he also added a roof to it. Climb up, sit on platform, feet on top rung of ladder with a roof over your head.

Cost effective for him as he used all scrap materials he had laying around.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I've built many tree stands over the years and like RB I think it's easier and safer to go buy one,figure buying treated lumber a bought one might even be cheaper and definately faster to put up....

·
Registered
18,292 Posts
not a DIY idea but simply because I don't have my own land to build a permanent stand on. I would recommend the two man stand with the canopy / blind from field and stream
I think its the outpost deluxe $249.00

warm and comfortable plus it keeps you out of the wind, rain and snow.

I know its not what you asked but just a plan "B" sort of thing.

Reactions: 4x4dad

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
For a simple treestand the bought ones are definitely cheaper and easier unless you are making an elevated "cabin" then wood is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
RonM said:
I've built many tree stands over the years and like RB I think it's easier and safer to go buy one,figure buying treated lumber a bought one might even be cheaper and definately faster to put up....
Same here.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I agree buy a stand.
Spend extra time and $ enclosing it with custom walls and or camo.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I have built a lot of wooden ladder stands. I use 2x6's for the rails on the ladder and 2x4's for everything else except the floor. If there are no porcupines there I use plywood for the floor. Where the porcupines are I use deck boards. I make them about 16 feet high. They last about 10 years and I don't use treated lumber or paint them. They cost me about $ 40.00 for the lumber and screws.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Having had the lumber ones rot out and become a hazard and liability concern for me and others, I'll third the motion for buying one if you are wanting a portable one that you can move around or take in or out. I have a few old, odd aluminum ladder sections around here that I got at auctions cheap, and will become lite wt. ladder stands for me eventually, but buying is probably just as time/$ effective. For non-portable or not as portable, check out the local scrap yard for components made of metal - then you have something that no one will steal and will last and be safer. Make up an axle with bike wheels for it to move it around easier.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
This one has been out for a year. I have a seat that straps to the tree. I might move this one for rifle season. To move it I will unbolt the platform and braces as one piece. Then put the ladder on my deer cart and put the platform on top.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
WalMart has 2 man latter stand on sale for $99.
Padded seat, padder back rail, padded shooting rail, 2 safty harness. 300 lb. capacity

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
i've seen one too many broken legs and broken backs as a result of homemade tree stands. no thank you. like mentioned in the post above, safer stands are available for not much money at all.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
^^ + when wooden ones get wet they are slicker than pig snot.
Not being able to relax and enjoy your hunt, kinda defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I've been picking up used extension ladder sections that dont have a mate anymore for very cheap and am gonna mount them to inexpensive hang-on stands. Seeing used stands at yard sale for $5-$20 or so since you can buy the cheap ones for $30 or so now new. Prob have around $40 or so into one and my time. Scrap yard is a good place to look around too.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
not a DIY idea but simply because I don't have my own land to build a permanent stand on. I would recommend the two man stand with the canopy / blind from field and stream
I think its the outpost deluxe $249.00

warm and comfortable plus it keeps you out of the wind, rain and snow.

I know its not what you asked but just a plan "B" sort of thing.

I purchased that exact stand . I placed it on a relatives property in 2007 . She sold the property this year so I had to go take it down before the closing . In 10 years the stand was just as solid as the day I put it up . The only thing that it will need are a few rusted bolts replaced for safeties sake when I reinstall it elsewhere . Very good double stand !

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I made a portable stand out of two 6' sections of scaffolding that i picked up off craigslist cheap.
Added 2x8's floor boards , and built sides and roof using a tarp and PVC pipe for a frame.
Easy to move, but need level ground to put i on

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I built many ladder stands. I always used scrap wood so cost was not a problem. I agree with most of the people on here, buy one. Weight is the problem. I also like hole diggers idea. Use sections of aluminum ladders. I have done that too they, can be easily camo'd , they are light, easy to secure to the tree with a couple of ratchet straps and a hang on stand is cheap.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I've modified every stand I've bought in some capacity from buying an extension for ladder stands to chain and turn buckles instead of ratchet straps to extensions for the support brace to replacing the steel cable on hang-on stands with chain.

If I were you, I would save yourself the hassle of building a stand and just buy a double ladder stand as your base model then modify it as you see fit.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts