The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of people have done DIY elk hunts in Colorado. Anyone every try to do a Mt. lion hunt? Guided hunts for Mt. lion's can be expensive and I don't really have 4,500+ to just spend on a hunt.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
was out on a self guided elk hunt a few years ago and had a cougar in a tree for over a half hour. Of course I didnt' have a tag. The same group went back to that camp 4 times since and haven't seen one. I don't know what the success rate would be, but I would imagine VERY low, however it would be fun. Let me know if you decide to do this, I'd love to hear the results, oh and good luck if you do

·
Registered
994 Posts
Pretty tough unless you have dogs to run them with. I have heard that they can be called with predators calls but I can't see enough directions at once to call in an animal like that.
I have also read about people tracking them themselves but the success rate is low.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, I figured I might need dogs. I was just curious if it was even all that possible. I'm thinking it would be a lot of fun to try.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You will never get one if you don't try. Good luck if you do.

·
Registered
957 Posts
if you decide to do it let me know I would be interested in trying it as well, only i would want to call one in with hand calls...

·
Registered
653 Posts
I don't know how people out west have the nerve to go to their stands before it gets light out... I would wizz my pants if i had to go out before it got light with mt. lions prawlin around... Don't have to deal with them here, and thats a good thing.... so far

·
Registered
351 Posts
A lot of places are a 1 to 2 hike in the dark to get to where the elk are. If you're not there at first light you miss the most exciting part of the day.

·
Registered
957 Posts
depends on the states regulations but that would be awesome to call them at night

·
Registered
901 Posts
Not sure of CO but some states require only males and limited numbers that you must call in ASAP to prevent over kill. I'm sure you'd check before you went but just a heads up.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Personally I think it would be very difficult without dogs, even then it is a toss-up. I don't think a human alone could pressure it enough to put it up a tree. For calling, the males especially, travel great distances only coming by an area maybe once a week. The odds of getting one in earshot would be hard and then of course you need to get it to respond. It does happen but almost always coincidental to calling something else. I think the odds of going out and saying this week I'm going to call in a lion would be very low. Personally I wouldn't want to shoot a female and certainly not unless I could verify she wasn't nursing. Lion breed year round, which is also why the males are always travelling so far, so you never know when the females have nursing kittens. When you have a female up a tree you are considering killing you need to be sure she isn't nursing, unless it is legal and you don't care. Here is a short clip from December a few years ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tundragriz/Utah2006Cougar#5397859430534373538

I think the best odds of calling would be to go to good lion country with migrating deer and elk. Walk a LOT where they are migrating and you will find kills. Find a kill that is still being fed on and set up there, never tried it but they usually aren't far from a fresh kill. They may visit it a couple times a day.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I just seen this on the Predator Masters forum. Check out Rain Shadow Game Calls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts