The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I may spend more time looking for stuff than to fix the part. Little room, I keep a lot of tools in storage boxes. Of course, the poor guy just starting out and who doesn't know you have to use a special tool to complete the job.
The part costs $6.34. But that's not the true cost. The special plumbing wrench needed costs some $20.00.

At least I don't have alzheimers. I located the fairly unused tool quickly. Paid it off the first times use. Such is DIY.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Over the years I've accumulated almost every tool imaginable 2 or 3 times over, my kids are going to have a heck of a yard sale when I'm gone

Best thing a DIYer can do to take away the mystery is google or youtube what your looking to do before you buy the parts or tools.
Sure your going to sort through the rednecks that start every Homedepot shopping list off with "buy whiskey" but you will see more that will show you ways of doing things you did for years easier and cheaper and with equipment you already have.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Years ago, I redid the plumbing in an old farm house. I ran pex tubing beccause it was the easiest way to run pipes between walls and around corners. Tubing was cheap, connectors cheap, the tool to crimp the parts was $120.00. I may have to dig it out once or twice a year, for other jobs, but it beats cutting and gluing or trying to solder parts together. Helped a neighbor repair a slate roof. He was dumbfounded that I had the slate knife and tools to remove the old cracked slates and cut the new slate and put the nail holes in it. Something I saw done in the 1950's and had not done myself since high school days.

Learning new skills is a sort of hobby with me that I began back in high school days.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Birch812 said:
Over the years I've accumulated almost every tool imaginable 2 or 3 times over, my kids are going to have a heck of a yard sale when I'm gone

Best thing a DIYer can do to take away the mystery is google or youtube what your looking to do before you buy the parts or tools.
Sure your going to sort through the rednecks that start every Homedepot shopping list off with "buy whiskey" but you will see more that will show you ways of doing things you did for years easier and cheaper and with equipment you already have.
Man code ; rule#1
He who dies with the most tools wins

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A relative couldn't do a painting and carpentry job, because he was unaware of the tool he needed.
I was glad because I made fairly short work of it with the specialized saw, for small places. I not only paid for the job, I paid for the saw with the one time use.
So I got thinking of ways to use the saw, again. Duhhh. I realized the saw could be used to trim small branches of small trees that needed annual cutting. I happened to know its carpentry use; not the gardening use.
It's on its third gardening use, and pays for itself every year's use. I'd have to buy a new one just for that job annually. Laugh now all the way to the bank. But I was lucky. The first job was a carpentry job. I wonder if I'd have been clued in if the gardening job was first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts