The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Dixon's has it's annual muzzleloader fair in a couple of weeks. Approximately how many custom gun makers are there. A friend is looking to get a custom smoke pole. If the fair is anything like the store, it should be good!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
TheDFP,
I went last year for the first time, and will go back again this year. It is bigger than i thought it would be and I looked at several gun makers and chose one to make mine. Also they have classes from tuning a lock to making a powder horn. Check out Dixon's site and they should have a schedule of the seminars

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Its my yearly pilgrimage I say---My yearly PILGRIMAGE!!!!!!!! Cant wait. Still looking for a piece of LONG CURLY MAPLE! Got a nice delux siler lock and a competition grade 54 cal 44" Rice barrel to go with it!

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
Hope to see you there, Bunky. The Gunmaker's Fair is certainly one of those events all flintlockers must attend once, if not yearly, and on multiple days per year!

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
Glad to hear that your Dad is still producing those beautiful, hand-stitched possibles bags, Jack. As I count up guns and bags, I see that I am short one bag!

I purchased a copy of T. C. Albert's book a couple of years ago with "good intentions" of filling the gun/bag gap on my own, but you know what they say about good intentions. I'll be stopping by you Dad's booth to see if he can help me out with a left-side hanging bag. It'll be good to see you both.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
GBJR------------Im short a bag---gotta buy at least one small onemaybe 2 this summer. When you heading to the beach again...??????? In the mood for surf fishing?

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can find anything you want at the fair, except inlines. They could get you tarred and feathered. Should be at least 6 kit sellers there that I can think of, probably more. Dave Keck, Tip Curtis, Jim Chambers, Wayne Dunlap, TVM, Brad Emig that I can name. All in person to answer all your questions.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
Fish, Toby has given you a very accurate overview of potential kit providers who will certainly be in attendance at the Gunmaker's Fair. I've dealt personally with two of those suggested, Brad Emig of Cabin Creek, and TVM, Matt and Toni Avance. Both are fine folks and provide quality gun building materials.

Tip Curtis offers an amazing collection of flintlock kits and possesses a reputation of being an honorable man. I would not hesitate to select one of his kits.

There are no sheisters at the Gunmaker's Fair!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be there on Sunday morning. I have heard nothing but great things about the fair.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
TheDFP said:
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be there on Sunday morning. I have heard nothing but great things about the fair.
Sir its a yearly pilgrimage to say the least!

Leave all credit cards and check books at home (NO paper trail)---take cash so the wife will never know!

·
Registered
769 Posts
I am not a ''black powder guy'' I own a flintlock with a synthetic stock that i basically hate. I bought it for the famous flint season. But . . . I went to the makers fair last year for the first time. it is an amazing event. I literally wrote down the dates for this year while I was there last year. if you want it for black powder anything, it is there. I will be there bright and early tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Anyone know if you can buy Swiss powder there?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Dixon's sells Swiss out of their store, it is a little salty with tax it is $30 a pound. Would be better off if you could get together with some guys and buy a case

1 - 20 of 29 Posts