The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone able to tell me how the district fur sales work??

i was going to take my fur that is ready to Michigan to sell...but i've already put 6 more coon in the freezer...

the local buyers i know of are TNT in latrobe and Snow Water in Conneaut...both a good hour or farther from me..i dont know of anyone closer...so, to make a trip worth while, i might as well sell in 1 batch i think...wouldnt be worth my gas to take 6 coon...

just wondering how the district sales work...who is there buying? prices typically higher or lower than country buyers? is it an auction type deal? how many buyers are usually at the Washington, PA sale?

never been there...i wanna join the PTA and get more involved this year for sure..and depending on how the district sales are, it might be a good option for me to sell my fur..though i wish it was right after the season lol...depending on weather, i usually get my nicest coon the last 2 weeks of the season..

·
Registered
481 Posts
The district 3 sale in Washington is a table sale, not an auction. There are usually between 4 - 7 buyers there. You can take your fur to one or all of the buyers, getting a price from each. You can then decide to sell or not. Most trappers are happy with the prices they are offered, you can also sell coons to one buyer, rats to another, etc. Buyers take out 4% and pay the district the commission at the end of the sale. Lines are usually long in the morning, but are not bad in late morning or lunch time. You can sign up as a member there also.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx Dave...

do most people go around to each table???

i'd almost feel bad going around to each table then going back and saying "yep you were the highest gimme my money!"

it'd be nice to be able to do that..opposed to drive to each buyer...but id feel weird doing that lol

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
District 11 is an auction. Buyers walk around and look at all the fur then bid on each lot. Trapper can sell for high bid or take his furs home if he doesn't think it's enough.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Most do go to all the buyers. Although it takes a while to wait in all the lines. I have found that by doing that you can sometimes see a big difference in price.

·
Registered
481 Posts
longear is right, most usually go ahead and get all of the prices they can. Some seem to come in and go to the same buyer every year though. Depending on how much fur you have, it's your advantage to get all of the prices you can. Funny thing is at the end of the sale, usually the buyers all have a pile of fur. One may have been higher on this lot, but the next lot, another buyer outpriced him.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx guys!! As of now i dont have a ton...4 reds, 4 yotes, and 17 coon...probably end up with 25-30 coon unless winter sets in for a change..

Sounds like i will probably do that....can always sit on whatever i have after that or sell local or ship it...

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
m06 says-
<span style="color: #660000"><span style="font-weight: bold">i'd almost feel bad going around to each table then going back</span></span>
That's the way it works and the Buyers know that. Don't feel bad.
One buyer may need to fill a Red Fox order and is offering slightly higher price another buyer may be needing Muskrats and so on.
It's to your advantage (and save time) to shop around under one roof. That's what it's all about.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya i figured that is how.it would be Hern...some needing coon..some rats..some fox...and paying better for it....

And after i thought about it, the buyers go there to buy and they know we will want the best prices..if they didnt wanna deal with it they wouldnt go to the sale...

They have to travel and all that to get there...but saves them time in the long run too i bet from guys wanting offers and leaving the shop..takes time out of their day....

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
How much are Eastern Coyotes even going for ?? I have heard not very much..Mauser you need to come up here so I can teach you to skin them for taxidermy purposes. I believe you can get more money for a tanned coyote skin skinned the proper way for taxidermy ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts