The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going into my second trapping season thisyear and need some input on the best dispatch methods for coon, fox, yote...that will not damage the fur or at least as little as possible....please pm me

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I prefer to shoot trapped animals with a .22. Some trappers use compression with fox but it's always been easier for me to shoot.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
x2 on the .22. much easier for me also. coon are pretty hard headed and you may be late for work or school with a bat

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Just don't use a 22 on skunks.
In the late 1950s/early 1960s I trapped a lot of skunks while in school. Most of those years a good #1 or even #2 skunk was worth 2 muskrats.

I checked my traps before school and my skunks were shot with a .22.

An older boy showed me the best way to shoot a trapped skunk. The first thing walk right up to the skunk, rifle or revolver at the ready. Do not shoot from 20-30 feet away. 8-10 feet is about right. Unless you have a yapping dog dancing about or some fool kid shouting and skipping about you are not going to trigger the spray response in the skunk.

Now we have established you have to get into a range where where you are going to score a guaranteed hit on 1 shot.

Now for the easy part. Just cooly and calmly fire 1 round into the skunk's head. 1 [one]. No more. Use a .22 short cartridge. Then turn around and walk away. Turn and walk. Go check your remaining traps.

Do not worry what the skunk is doing after you fire the shot. Most likely it's going to be standing there watching you. That's fine. The skunk is not going home with us right now any way.

Just leave him alone and don't bother him with additional shots or poking sticks unless you want a stinky mess.

While in school, skunks shot in the morning were left to quietly expire during the day, then collected in the afternoon.

When I was older and I had to jiggle a job, I would leave the skunk till the next day.

When handled this way, skunks usually just lay down, curl up and pass. You find them in full rigor mortis the next trip through. Seldom do they spray, and even if they do it is just a few drops, not full blown sac emptying blasts. Leaving them out over night helps the critter to 'blow off.'

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have been putting foxes down for 35 years and my fastest way is one rap to the nose, once stunned one rap to the throat patch -done in seconds. Found this in Barons's Fox trapping methods by Scott Behrens circa 1986? I have taken non-trappers out and they were amazed how fast I turned the lights out on fox. Coon are best shot with .22, then stood upon to control DNA in one small spot.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Oldmink, I've had several trappers state over the years that head shot skunks almost always spray, some sort of CNS response. BTW if you shoot through the brain, they are instantly lights out, though I have no idea if skunks do the coon thing. What I've been told is to shoot them through both lungs and most times it puts them down with no spraying. Of course there is the other method for skunks, but that's best left for PM's. I've used this method and they basically fall asleep and never wake up- no leaking or spraying.

I've used the stun and throat method on foxes before, but I'm not always fast enough nor a hard enough pitcher. So I tend to just heart or dbl lung shoot them. I figured a way to have no exit, but the angle is difficult. No exit= no bleeding till I'm skinning.

Coons and possums I shoot in the head right through the top center.

If I ever catch coyotes, it will be a heart shot, as there is a small market for the skulls.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
A video is worth a 1,000,000 words. I've tried it all trying to find the quickest, most humane way.
WCH, has is licked.

·
Registered
749 Posts
just make sure you have a good solid club....what im using is a 1 inch in diameter piece of aluminum pipe about 18 inches long.....i tried a fiberglass splitting mall handle and believe me it dosent work near as well...

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
I perfer a 22 to the boiler room...usually do it and check other nearby sets and come back and collect it...found there is much less blood when skinning compared to a head shot....

Quick and easy...

Still havent found a way to do skunks with a 22 and not have them spray....i know the best method but never built the tool for the job...and after increasing my pan tension i dont get them anymore..but wonder if i am missing fox now...

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I've been using the method shown walkercoonhunter's video on canines ever since I first saw that video. Works equally well on reds and coyotes.

Used most of the other methods described here for canines but the throat chop is by far the most efficient method I've tried.

Everything else gets a .22 to the head. I don't like the boiler room shot because if it's not a heart shot it takes too long for the critter to expire.

I tried the lung shot on skunks and they still spray half the time, head shots they spray more often than not for me.

Used to use .22 shorts but found them ineffective on larger coon. They'd flatten on the skull with no penetration and no kill. I have a bowl full of flattened bullets in the shop. Switched back to .22 long rifle and solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nice vid. Good tool for the guys who have never tried it before. My first season I just used a 22 for everything but i think it definitely ruined my sets.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Lackawanna Fox said:
very nie video walker and very quick
did u ever use your heel in there lungs when there knocked out?
yes i have...but that takes someone that dosent have bad knees...and may i suggest the smaller guys do not try the heart stomp on coyotes....lol....

the chop method in the video dont really add any extra steps or expended effort so i can stay fresh thru out the day to run my line efficient with what time i have....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts