The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be replacing my dishwasher this weekend and I have a question about the current setup. Right now my old dishwasher drains into a standpipe like a washing machine. Is this an ok setup (I drew a sketch below of what it looks like)? All the ones I have installed I have run through the disposal, and the new dishwasher instructions do not show an option of draining into a standpipe. My next question is if I decide to drain it into the disposal, can I cap off the stand pipe? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Not a plumber and codes change enough that I have to look them up. I think you need to have an air vent above the sink bowl level if you do the direct pipe in. Since you already have the stand pipe you might be ok as long as it is up to the underside of the counter. Capping off the standpipe will not allow air behind the water unless you have a vent stack fairly close. I suspect you don't and that is why there is the stand pipe. Again ,Im not a plumber ,just play one on HPA

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have any vents in the drain line? If not and you decide to "cap" it I recommend using an air admittance valve. It's basically a check valve that will let the standpipe still act like a vent, but not let out any sewer smells. Below is a link to what I'm referring to. They sell cheaper ones, but I've heard of problems with the cheaper ones letting the smells up.

Lowes Air Admittance Valve

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would cap the stand pipe with the air admittance valve and drain the DW in the disposal. If there is ever a blockage in the line it will back up out of the stand pipe

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
cap off that standpipe!!! once the water is gone out of that trap you will get a smell.tie it into the disposal.those air adminttance valves fail at a alarming rate!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts