The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the deer population down? Yeah. But am I still seeing deer? Yes. As many? No. Am I seeing larger bucks? YES.

Option 1: I go all season see a handful of does and have a chance at a +130" buck

Option 2: I go all season see does out the rear end and have a bunch of scrub bucks walk by that'll surely get shot by someone else

I'm rolling with Option 1.

Growing up I've always known deer hunting as HARD, bow or gun. Seeing a deer in a sit is an win. And recently the size of bucks I've been seeing are a lot bigger than what they were a couple years ago. Yeah the does are a lot fewer BUT having too big of a deer herd limits food at food sources and then deer aren't receiving the proper nutrition, and some may even die of starvation over winter.

The next question is: if you aren't seeing deer, have you hunted the same areas in the past couple years? There are plenty of grounds out there to hunt. Question your scouting, is it you go out and put surveyors tape up every 5 feet so you know how to get to your "tree". Or do you take a couple days a month to go out and just walk the area that you hunt.

Wait you don't have time to scout?

Go to mytopo.com and google earth and scout from your computer chair or while you're watching TV, or searching this forum. You can maximize your scouting time by searching maps first then going into the field with the maps and key areas you wanna look at.

I've been successful hunting out of state and I've never stepped foot on the area that I hunted. I did all my scouting from Pa and looked at topos and satellite images of the area.

Nothing is a gimme in this world, if you want to see deer you have to do your own WORK. Hunting the same spot year after year with no success is not putting in the work.

Sorry am tired
of the "there's no deer in Pa" people.

ALSO, I don't mean to offend ANYONE, just had to vent.

·
Registered
16,027 Posts
anyone who hunts a new area without looking at airial photos & topos is wasting time. nothing wrong with walking an area, but you can pinpoint the areas you want to walk first, so you don't waste time in areas you really don't need to scout. nothing shows a funnel like an airial photo.

·
Banned
135 Posts
You forgot option 3 which is what most guys are forced to "roll with". Seeing few does, and few to no bucks, scrub or otherwise.

Thanks anyway, but I think I will roll with option 4.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm saying if you aren't seeing deer do something about it, posting about no deer on the internet isn't going to solve the situation.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Wow bud, youre an original we have never heard that idea nor thought of it.

Sorry, but when you care beyond what that next buck who walks around the corner looks like you look for answers to the big picture.

You seem to think you are dealing with a bunch of morons here. Thanks for the speech but it would be better said somewhere like walmart the night before the rifle opener. Not a forum of passionate hunters.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wow another legend in his own mind.I see you are new maybe you should have read a few threads before you posted.I don't really care for whining but I like know it alls even less.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know what you're right, I shouldn't have posted this, it comes off bad. I'm just frustrated right now (not with this site haha) and was reading some posts and the people complaining got me going. I was thinking single mindly with my frustrations, when I shouldn't have been.

Sorry guys, if I could delete it I would.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts