The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just got a new crossbow it came with an allen discharge arrow after shooting it the first time the nock came off the bolt what does everyone use to discharge their crossbow.

·
Registered
20,160 Posts
I use a bolt with a field tip that I either shoot into a discharge ball or soft ground.

DO NOT shoot a crossbow without a bolt or the correct nock, bad things happen.

Good Luck

·
Registered
881 Posts
I bought a carbon express release bolt. Shoot right into the ground and be done. Alot better then swapping bolts. and hauling a target. Just put some reflective tape on it, in case it bounces in the dark.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Morrell and Rinehart I think both make small discharge targets. They are also nice if going away to hunt and you need to check POI.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just been taking the bolt out and decocking it manually. My xbow isn't one of the most powerful out there so I wouldn't try this with a more powerful bow. But I use my cocking rope and hold it with one hand and pull the trigger with the other and let it down slowly. The rope has a ball at the end so it won't slip out of my hand, but like I said I wouldn't try this on a more powerful crossbow.

edit: but after reading about the special bolts for this purpose, I'm using one of those from now on.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use an old bolt with a field tip and shoot into soft ground or sand pile. To keep it from going deep I took the field tip off and slipped a washer over the threads and then put it back on. Works great.

·
Registered
715 Posts
OleDeadEye said:
I've just been taking the bolt out and decocking it manually. My xbow isn't one of the most powerful out there so I wouldn't try this with a more powerful bow. But I use my cocking rope and hold it with one hand and pull the trigger with the other and let it down slowly. The rope has a ball at the end so it won't slip out of my hand, but like I said I wouldn't try this on a more powerful crossbow.
I do the same thing with an Excal Matrix without any issues

1 - 20 of 42 Posts