The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a new target that will hlep you discharge your bow at the end of the day. They tell me it will retail for $39.99

·
Registered
838 Posts
I dont own a crossbow but wouldnt u carry an arrow with a field tip to discharge it with?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Yes. that's what I did when I came out of the woods this morning. I always keep a spare field tip in my pack in case I forget the target arrow. It's carrying the block target around for the discharge that's a bit awkward.

·
Registered
615 Posts
#1 reason i bought a excalibur crossbow! the rope cocker for let down..... before you get to the safety zone !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I believe you would use this when you get to your vehicle at the end of the hunt or if taking a break during the day. Safer than shooting a practice arrow in the ground. Again, keep it in your vehicle.

Interesting about the safety zone comment. Isn't the crossbow considered unloaded with the arrow removed from the rail? Similar to a muzzleloader with barrel loaded but no powder in the pan. You can carry it in a vehicle like that.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
We keep a YellowJacket target at our camp, and every day we return, we put a field tip arrow in and take a practice shot. At least you get to practice one shot a day that way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
that should be considered unloaded-there is no harm in a cocked crossbow w/ no arrow in it -- justone more advantage of the excal. line ( i have an excal. equinox 225lb. its the best thing that i could have bought )

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
muttleysgone said:
We keep a YellowJacket target at our camp, and every day we return, we put a field tip arrow in and take a practice shot. At least you get to practice one shot a day that way.
+1

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
secret said:
#1 reason i bought a excalibur crossbow! the rope cocker for let down..... before you get to the safety zone !!!!!!!!!!!!
Just take the bolt out, then it is not loaded, for the safety zone.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Maybe my understanding of safety zone is wrong, but I consider that as being a "no hunting/no shooting" area and applicable to the "general public".

I load up when I walk out the door and unload when I get back to the door.

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
You must have written permission from the landowner to hunt or carry a loaded weapon while engaging in the act of hunting in a safety zone. Since you are the landowner, I would think that it is legal for you to do that.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I just did what a few guys said earlier on, when I got back to camp switched to a field tip and unloaded. Worked fine!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't have a crossbow...but would like to get one this year. I don't understand how you unload at the end of the day...you can take the bolt out of a cocked crossbow? ...or you can remove a broadhead and replace it with a field tip while it's loaded on the rail??

I'm missing something here. How do you guys do it?

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Yes you can remove the bolt from a cocked crossbow.Remove it switch the tip or to a field tipped bolt and place back on the shooting rail tight against the string.Fire the bolt into a target.You are done.Don't try switching the tips with the bolt on the rail.Big safety no-no.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts