The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday when I got done hunting I got out my discharge arrow and fired in at an angle into the ground. When the arrow hit the ground two pieces of the arrow went skyward. The last time I fired it I fired it into a bank from about 15 yards and it bounced straight back and came close to hitting me, which is why I didn't fire it straight down or almost straight down. Today I went to Lancaster Archery Supply where I bought the arrow to get a new one, I asked if they had one that would hold up better. The guy at the proshop told me he never recommended the arrows. When I aske him what he recommends he took me over to the target bag section and grabbed a small yellow Jacket "discharge bag". It is small, 17" x 13",I can throw it into one of the baskets on my ATV and leave it there under the cover while I am hunting and set it up and shoot a target arrow into it when I am leaving. Those arrows are expensive if they are going to break after a couple of discharges, the bag should last me pretty much as long as I will be archery hunting.

https://www.lancasterarchery.com/morrell-yellow-jacket-final-shot-crossbow-bag-target.html

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
That is what I use at the end of every hunt. We ground a bullet point flat so it doesn't penetrate as far. Just don't forget to switch to the bolt with the field point, I have forgot 2x in the past couple years and those bags don't stop broadheads!

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
IF I'm hunting several days in a row I usually do not release the string. Some guys here have kept xbow cocked all season. That's a bit extreme for me. I wait until Im home and shoot the target which confirms my zero as well. I do have a discharge bolt with a heavy 1"or so dia. metal mushroom on the end. Beware of frozen ground tho,bolt will shatter. I usually do it in the mulch pile

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Tried those discharge bolts... was a pack of 5 or 6 for about $15...
Wasn't worth it for a disposable item they turned out to be... and I'll say this, DO NOT USE THEM when it's below freezing out....
They will disintegrate in flight... explosively.

I just fire off a field point at an old 3d or bag target when I'm done for the day/trip.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I use a bulldog targets Doghouse FP plus to discharge my xbow. It stop arrows so fast and has a lifetime warranty. I want to get their pug target since it's lighter for traveling.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
X2 on the yellow jacket. I just use one of the freebie bolts that came with my crossbow. Not a fan of shooting into the ground...rock or roots..like you have seen the arrow can come back or blow up.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about a translation!

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
18,217 Posts
15 year old parker safari magnum :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
HAve you ever tried using the cocking rope to let of the string ? I adjust the cocking rope so it is slightly short then when I let off the tension the rope stays attached and it is ready to re-cock the next day.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to see you hold the cocking rope with one hand so you can pull the trigger with the other on a 185 lb pull crossbow and with anti dry fire you cannot release the trigger unless there is an arrow in place.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I hate the cartoon character Sponge-Bob Square Pants so every time I unload my crossbow into that yellow square, I smile. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
18,769 Posts
I would like to see you hold the cocking rope with one hand so you can pull the trigger with the other on a 185 lb pull crossbow and with anti dry fire you cannot release the trigger unless there is an arrow in place.
This is common practice with Excaliburs. Many of which have limbs upwards of #280. I can easily decock my Excalibur using the one hand method, even on the one with the ADF. Here is a short video showing it being done.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts