The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Discarded Tires

12K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  Bluetick 
#1 ·
I read on here a lot and see tons of discarded tires along the roads, over the banks and in streams and rivers. What would anybody's opinion be on charging $1.00 or some similar fee on each tire sold and then keep a data base to find out who is throwing the tires away? Could create a couple of jobs and clean up our beautiful state. I never hear of anyone ever being caught and prosecuted for littering at all.
All tires have a serial number on them so the first big step is already taken do they not?

I would like to hear pros and cons on what can be done to clean up after these slobs.
We clean up a section of road by our home and pay to have it disposed of only to find more the very next day.

#3 ·
This would mean more Government involvment in our lives ?? if people sold tires to each other this means they would have to go and get them Transferred ?? Perhaps they could do this with Plastic pop bottles ?? how about bait containers ?? we see all around the lake ?? if we register tires ,,are ALL guns next ( even long Guns )?? what about shell casings , we see them in the woods all the time also ,,cigarette butts are a real eyesore also ?? I seen a TV and couch at Moraine someone dumped .where does it end ??

#4 ·
Dave2pa said:
This would mean more Government involvment in our lives ?? if people sold tires to each other this means they would have to go and get them Transferred ?? Perhaps they could do this with Plastic pop bottles ?? how about bait containers ?? we see all around the lake ?? if we register tires ,,are ALL guns next ( even long Guns )?? what about shell casings , we see them in the woods all the time also ,,cigarette butts are a real eyesore also ?? I seen a TV and couch at Moraine someone dumped .where does it end ??
Buddy, maybe you should switch to decaf.......

#5 ·
The serial numbers are already on the tires for the guarantee of the tire. Create a system to find these slobs. The PGC has the same littering problem and it is costing them a lot of money. If we could find these type of people and fine them then they would be glad to pay the tire dealer the money to properly dispose of them.
Thanks for your views and yes all the litter you mention are eyesores but we need to start somewhere.

#6 ·
Dave2pa said:
Why so negative? Are you suggesting that unless we can fix the entire world and all its problems, or even just some of the litter problems there is no sense in trying to fix anything at all?

I think the idea of registering tire serial numbers in a data bank when a person has new ones put on and then takes the old ones with them could go along ways toward addressing a growing problem.

Dick Bodenhorn

#7 ·
Dave2pa said:

I agree.

#8 ·
The tire registeration is a bad idea.First ,tire price would increase because you would have to hire someone to keep track of all these serial numbers,two,how do I know that after I pay the garage to get rid of my tires,they don't pocket the money and go dump them somewhere?I don't know what the answer is,but I think this idea would have a lot of flaws.

#9 ·
i agree that registering tires sounds like a problem waiting to happen. whats next government run heath care

but if the "fee" for getting rid of the old tires was some how put on the front end when they were bought and it didn't cost anthing to get rid of them that might help.

#10 ·
Not real hard to get rid of a serial number on a rubber tire I'm sure.
But I agree , more rules and laws ,just like with drugs , after all just look how well that's all working out.
What we need are serial numbers on MOUNTAIN DEW bottles , because those people are the worse , I will see 10 empty mountain dew bottles littering the woods and streams for every one pepsi,coke,etc bottle.
Don't believe me , count for yourself.
Dang criminals , register those M.D bottles and make sure they are disposed of or face a flogging.

#11 ·
It isn't exactly a serial number that's on a tire. It's called a DOT number. Hundreds of tires will have the same DOT number. Its more like a batch or lot number. Used for warranties and recalls. If theres a manufacturer's defect the whole batch made is recalled.

Great idea, but its impossible to track. There's no ROI in doing so. Would be much cheaper to make inmates pick them up.

#16 ·
I am completely astonished (and concerned) at the willingness people have to use the tax code to change behavior. Our founding fathers are no longer turning over in their grave; they are now digging through the bottom of their pine box in an effort to get even greater distance from what was a great country. Personal responsibility and fear of our government is so far removed from peoples thought process that it is now the norm to look to our wonderful government to solve every social issue we have. (Including discarded tires) Just saying

Timber

#17 ·
I understand where you're going with that, but sometimes it takes some sort of governing force to enact, and uphold certain things. Let's face it, without the threat of heavy fines, incarcerations, death penalties, etc.... (all passed with legislation), this would be an exponentially more horrible modern-day America in which we live. As a landowner, we aren't allowed to shoot scoundrel's that lay waste to our personal and private properties like they were able to in the days of Jefferson and Wshington.

#19 ·
Amen Brother. We are a land of laws. No they don't all get enforced equally but we do need them. Am I to beleive these posts that don't want the government to get involved any more that they like seeing these tires and garbage along the roads? We need some kind tracking to find out who is doing it then fines and maybe even jail time. I can't believe that responsible people want to stay with the status quo.

#22 ·
They're going to be putting in a Tires to Energy plant in Crawford county in the future. From what I understand they will be burning tires to create electricity. Obviously they will be monitored closely by the DEP to ensure the air quality remains acceptable. Maybe they will start buying these old tires and people will be picking them up on their own and selling them like scrap metal. Not sure, but I would imagine they won't be getting free tires to burn. This could help this problem if people can make some extra cash by selling tires. Kind of like people picking up cans along the roads.

There is a big controversy in NWPA with whether this is a good idea or not. I say as long as they are within the air quality regulations it will create jobs and make use of tons of un-wanted tires.

http://erierenewableenergy.com/

#23 ·
Best solution is to report those you see or know of dumping and help clean up what is already there. You go fishing or hunting and see some garbage left by others pick it up and take it with you. You see an old tire on the side of the road put it in your truck and take it to your local garage for disposal. It costs $4 a tire were I take them. Its not overly expensive. I have noticed that when one person dumps garbage in an area others follow. Remove the garbage so it does not look like a public dump. If the area is too bad off for you to do it yourself contact some of the local organizations. Most Boy Scout troops will lend a hand. There are lots of solutions to this issue. We do not need the Government to track everything we buy and discard to stop the build up of garbage on public lands. All we need is some people willing to make it better. Everytime I go hunting or fishing I have a trash bag in my pocket. When I leave that bag has trash in it. You don't need to ruin your whole trip picking up after others, spend 5 minutes everytime you go collecting as much as you can. It makes the area look better and you can proudly say you did your good deed for the day.

#26 ·
Dave2pa said:
As long as it creates another goverment position along with a big goverment paycheck for some political figures family member or friend, it won't end till the system falls apart.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.