The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was out today and hung 2 stands and pulled my trail cam cards from 7 cameras and all my big shooter bucks have disappeared ! I only had 2 2yr old small 8 points on those 7 cards. I'm headed out tomorrow to pull the cards from the other 7 cams and hope I have at least 1 big boy still left hanging around !
They seem to do this every year and I'm never able to find them ! I have cams on big oak flats that is loaded with white oaks ! Where in the heck do they go ! I'm hunting big woods deer !

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
I'm just the opposite.....on my main stand that I hunt, I've not had much to get excited about. I went and switched out that chip today and was pretty surprised with what I found. I had 4 new legal bucks this week, with three of them being what I would call "very large." One of them is a big mainframe 10. Another is a mainframe 8 that is even bigger than the 10-high and wide with long main beams. And the last would be a large mainframe 10, but the left beam has 5 large points like a normal buck and the right beam must have been broken at some point in velvet and has 3 or 4 points that actually hook below its ear and down around the side of its head. It is pretty cool looking. I would gladly take any of the three....if I can...

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Same thing happens to me after the velvet is gone. The good news is that new bucks will start showing up in late October.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just pulled my other 7 cams and only had a spike and a small 8 point plus a couple does ! Guess I'm going to have to do some scouting in some other close areas and see if I can find at least one of the big shooters I had on camera !
There is a couple other oak flats that I haven't scouted so I guess I'll have to now !!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Here`s a picture of a buck I had on camera all summer one year.He was running with another buck the same size all year until they came out of velvet.I found this buck about a half mile away from where I had the camera in the summer.From all the rubbing that was where I found him,I think he was living in an area of about a 300 yard circle.He had water and all kinds of acorns.This time of year they find a small place to just put on the feed bag and wait for the rut to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ever since i started the trail camera hobby late 90's. It's been that way with me. Get photo's of big buck's starting in May watch them grow up till middle Sept. poof they disappeared or my camera's thinking got enough of these big boys, how much more do you want LOL. 2016 i was getting photo's & video's of the 13 point buck almost daily in the day light hours to speak. Then middle Sept. roll's around just like every year like the rest of the heavy racks, vanished in thin air. 2nd week of archery on a Saturday the neighbor farmer son got the 13 point. From my camera's to the farmer's son tree stand where he connected with the 13 point want more than 300 yards apart.

Some buck's don't venture far as some may? What i put together that Saturday morning. My buddy 2 boys were hunting in there stands in the really thick cover which from there stands to the posted property where the farmer's son got the 13 point buck less than 150 yards a part. The boys left early that morning, to windy so they left early before 7:30am. The 13 point was in the thick stuff, did he hear them or winded them? Anyways the buck came out of the heavy thicket ventured on over to the posted property the farmer son shot him in there pasture as he watched the buck come to him & his stand is less then 30 yards from the property line.

They are around, there just sitting tight. The rut comes around then our camera's are blowing up, but not the same buck's we been getting in the summer month's. It's a strange world out there in the deer woods.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Same thing happens to me year after year. The one factor i can think of is those deer seem to dissappear once the corn gets ears on them and the soybeans are fully up. Once the corn and soybeans are cut they seem to appear again and the rut ofcourse brings them around

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yep they're good at vanishing. And they'll move huge distances. I've got a buck with 3 miles between his summer home and fall home, try patterning that. A buddy had pics of a giant 2 miles apart and he was harvested another mile away. Then I've got deer that are home bodies. I had pics of a buck last summer then he disappeared until January. Picked him up again this summer again then he disappeared. Moved the camera just over the ridge to a little thicker cover and found him regularly. I've been super careful checking cams this year, mid day, during or just before rain, and once a month checks and it has made a huge difference in the amount of mature buck that are sticking on their summer pattern. Patterns will still change but this extra couple weeks might be just enough to get the job done.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Same for me in my area. Every year once the white oaks start hitting the ground that's were the deer are. I go down to having tons a pictures to only few a night entering the standing corn. Usually by 3rd week of no November they are all back with new deer showing up on the camera. Plus with all the rain ground is wet and acorns will rot faster and deer won't touch them once they start to rot.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Same for me in my area. Every year once the white oaks start hitting the ground that's were the deer are. I go down to having tons a pictures to only few a night entering the standing corn. Usually by 3rd week of no November they are all back with new deer showing up on the camera. Plus with all the rain ground is wet and acorns will rot faster and deer won't touch them once they start to rot.
3rd week Oct not Nov

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I always have tons of does and few bucks until Oct. Then I'll get 3 - 4 dozen different buck during hunting season. Happens every year at my place.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have never shot a buck that I had pics of on the trail cam. Its great to have the cams out to see whats in the area, but come season I always see different bucks. When the rut kicks in I usually see 10 to 12 different bucks the last 2 weeks of the season. I hope this year is the same.....

·
Registered
607 Posts
Last year we shot 4 bucks in November. We didn't have any of them (well, maybe one very common looking 8pt) on cam. Early to mid October our regulars vanish and new guys show up. big woods, same food etc. They are a tough creature to crack.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts