The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack the other dipping thread. I thinking of having my 7mm mag stock dipped in a camo pattern. I'd also like to get the scope dipped to match, but I see some guys make you sign a waiver for the scope in case something happens. Anybody ever had a scope dipped, and were there any issues?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I would call the scope manufacturer, some scopes are submerged in liquid as part of the quality control process, that being said I cannot imagine hydro dipping will effect those that are tested in a tank prior to leaving the factory

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I can not answer your question but I am wondering if the application will interfere with any adjustments you want to do. Increase / decrease power settings for example. But maybe the process allows for these type of things or the coating does not effect the movement.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Like Jim said, it could mess up the scope. I played around with a home kit and you have to spray a base layer of paint before dipping. If you don't want anything painted/dipped you have to remove it or tape to kingdom come. There is no way to do that on a scope, they just dip the whole thing. So you run the risk of either painting things shut or water intrusion.

My opinion, just leave it as is. It's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TRAPJAW said:
My opinion, just leave it as is. It's not worth the risk.
I appreciate the opinions. The plus side is, I didn't pay much for the scope so I won't be out much if it fails. $25 yard sale deal.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
As long as the scope is waterproof and of decent quality I can't see it messing anything up. The only thing that would concern me is getting the film/dip on the lenses, but I'm sure they have a system for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts