The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a source for whole Langostines. I made them in a Brandy and cream sauce. Man were they good. Lemon rice on the side. For some reason pics are backwards, starting from bottom to top preparation to plate.

·
Registered
534 Posts
date nite?...kiddin....what do they taste like?...crab or lobster?...looks good, than again if it is on a plate it looks good to me

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are much sweeter than lobster, they are in the hermit crab family so they taste more like a blue crab than lobster. They come from cold water in Europe and S. America. Those babies came from Scotland, they are supposed to be the best but I don't know because it is the frst time I made them. I will make them again.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Looks good. Langoustines are great. I could sit all day and eat seafood.....I should have been born in Maine. The lobsters wouldn't make it off the boat before I'd eat them.....I'd be one fat happy broke Lobster man,,,,

·
Registered
507 Posts
John S said:
Those babies came from Scotland, they are supposed to be the best but I don't know because it is the frst time I made them.
I've also seen the northern atlantic ones referred to as "Dublin Bay Prawns" and they are of higher quality than the others. Looks nice. Where did you source out these from? You don't see them at the local stores that often.

edited to add: I also use E&J brandy to cook with at work

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
507 Posts
John; if you ever need any help sourcing out exotic seafood let me know. Here's a link to my wholesale vendor in Philly; I get fresh fish several times a week at work. I also have a small mom & pop fishmonger out of Baltimore. I've been buying seafood from these guys for over 15 yrs and have great confidence in what they send me. When I used to work in Center city Philadelphia I'd go down to the market with a pushcart and a wad of cash to buy from the "gumba's" every morning. Even though I'm out here now I still talk to the same guys on the phone weekly. I'm located in downtown Lancaster and would be happy to have something dropped off here for you or possibly split a case of something I can use at the restaurant. I'm sure my wholesale price would be much better than retail. I enjoy reading your cooking threads; it seems you enjoy playing around in the kitchen as well.

http://www.samuelsandsonseafood.com/search.asp?search=langostino

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a bunch for the thread. I wish they would include prices but it looks like a great supplier. I paid $48.00 for 2lb of langostines and 8.50 shipping. I do enjoy cooking, it relaxes me. What resturant are you a chef at in Lanc.? I may take you up on your offer sometime. Thanks again.

·
Registered
507 Posts
John S said:
Thanks a bunch for the thread. I wish they would include prices but it looks like a great supplier.
Yeah, the prices change weekly but if you want to hear their daily specials with pricing you can call the 800 # and they have a recording everyday. Pretty cool just to listen to what's out there and see what's happening with the market. PM on the way.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nothing like fresh seafood. When I was in Hawaii a few years back the chef at the restaurant told me the tuna I was eating was swimming four hours ago.....fresh is the best. The markets in Philly are fun just to wander around to just take it all in........now I'm going to hit South Side Seafood in Scranton to get some little necks, all this seafood talk got me hungry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts