The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone digging anything other than seng this year? I've been digging mayapple, bloodroot ,polk, and black cohosh.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Season isn't open yet.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Well, if you're digging, I hope you do the right thing and stop or turn yourself in for destroying a valuable and limited resource.

The season begins September 1st. The reason is that the seeds do not ripen until mid August. If you dig any, the seeds need to be planted in the general vicinity of the plant. This is the reason why the plant is rare, unregulated digging before any seeds have been produced. Not unlike what happened to many game animals in the 1800's due to market hunting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purposely left seng out of this thread to avoid clutter like the two posts above. Mayapple is going down fast, I might not reach my goal of 50# dry root. I will be digging bloodroot next as it is starting to go down. I am also in the process of building a large dehydrator for cohosh.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A lost way of life for sure. Digging wild roots is something I have thought about doing, but have yet to attempt.

Do you consider this a sustainable practice where you dig?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Well I have a section of property I would like to clear the ground plants to grow large amouts of yellow root. There are patches of mayapple and poke that need to go. I could fill a pickup with mayapple roots, and many dumptrucks with poke.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last year I boxed and sent them US mail. About a dollar per. #. I might send them to Billy Taylor this yr. He has a great facebook page on roots. We really need more root buyers in PA. I think a co-op would be the way to go. We could build a wash station and dehydrator's. We could put up hundreds of pounds of roots giving out of state buyers a reason to drive to us. Heck, we could even have an auction like they do for fur.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Very interesting thinking you have there. But I'm intrigued by anything natural and woodsy. Reckon I'm just a woods bum like you.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I like your thinking. The problem is we could flood the market with poke root and mayapple. I think those markets are too small to handle a co-op's volume. It could drive prices down and we will be sitting on warehouses of dried roots. Kinda like us trappers who have ton's of coon sitting at NAFA.

·
Registered
274 Posts
don't know what area your from, but Chero-kee Fur and Recycling in Uniontown, Fayette county buy roots. I've
sold all the ones mentioned above in the past there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts