The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any of you guys catch the new show called diggers on discovery? The first episode was shot in my home town. It was cool to see some of the local historic buildings near which they were searching and doing interviews. I really enjoy seeing and learning about some of the items they locate but I could do without the overzealous reactions for t.v drama.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree ! to the general public they may fear giving out permission if they think we're going to be acting up like that and risking getting hurt. the Potential Values
could cause greed to set in also.
My understanding the archeologist on scene made them
put the finds back in the holes after showing them to the camera, & he was the only one aloud to bag, & register them. Not sure if the Archie kept them or turned them over to the property owner.
I did enjoy seeing the finds though I fast forward through the antics at the end.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jeff you are correct, the artifacts always belong to the property owner. As a contract archaeologist I am always asked that question. The property owner can donate the artifacts and many, many do for tax write-offs. You might have noticed in one of the episodes pin flags sticking out of one of the mens pockets. We use those to mark each target then sight each artifact in using a transit. That gives us a horizontal distribution of metal artifacts. With that knowledge we can then locate the historic features associated with the archaeological site. The archaeologists on the show, you bet, are overseeing the metal detector survey. Especially on sites controlled/protected by the national historic registry. I would imagine a lot of archaeologists do not approve of some aspects of the show. However, the show does promote recording finds and asking for permission as well as giving the artifacts to the site owners "museum" rather than selling them on E-bay. I also agree with your statement about potential values. One must remember that the most valuable thing to an archaeologist is understanding the life of the earlier time and recording that life for all to benefit from.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
No doubt the Discovery Channel pays these two guys?
I don't care for their reactions upon finding something,but thats most likely what the director of the program wants them to do?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts