The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Against my better judgement, I fished yesterday. I went to a large, limestone influenced stream, where I hoped to catch some large trout. Unfortunately, the action was even worse there than I thought it might be. I caught only five trout while I was there; 3 wild browns and 2 rainbows. One of the wild browns was nice at 15 inches.

I walked out and returned to the car. I drove a short distance and stopped at a well known limestoner. Amazingly, there were no cars there. But less than five minutes after I waded in, a fly fisherman got in the creek about 15 yards upstream from me. It is very common on that stream for that to occur, but it still bothers me. There was nobody on the creek upstream of him, but he had to get in just a few yards above me?
Apparently, no one ever taught him stream etiquette, or he didn't learn. When that happens, I'm always tempted to return the favor, but two wrongs don't make a right, so I walked well upstream and resumed fishing.

The action was good for the first half hour, but slowed way down. The bright sunshine combined with low water did not help. I caught 11 wild browns while I was there, the largest being 12 inches. A large brown followed twice but didn't hit.

I left there and drove to a couple different sections but left without fishing because of low water. Next, I stopped at another stream to check the water temperature. It was 70 degrees, so I waded out without wetting a line.

I tried one last stream. It is a heavily fished limestoner, but I was able to find a couple of spots without cars parked near them. The water temperature was a nice 62 degrees, but again the fishing was very tough due to low water. I managed to grind out ten wild browns, with the best being two 13 1/2 inchers.

The trout on the last stream ignored spinners for the most part. I caught all ten on Niti spoons. I'm not a big fan of those spoons for a couple of reasons. Their irregular action makes strike detection difficult sometimes and they are very light. The light weight isn't an issue on small or low water streams, but it's an issue on deeper water. Some people use split shot with them, but I do not believe in using split shot with any lures, as it hurts the action.

I will say that on several occasions, Nitis have come in handy on streams that have recently been fished with spinners.

So overall, it was another very mediocre outing, with only 26 trout on the day.
I'm hoping for rain soon, but outside of some brief showers or thunderstorms, I don't think there it's coming any time soon.

No unique wildlife events on the day. I saw a deer cross the creek upstream from me and also saw a mink along the bank.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I think the reason some fly fishermen hog in so closely in front of other anglers is that they often fish with other fly fishermen and they fish within fifteen yards of each other just like this guy did to you.

What I think they don't realize is that the person upstream from the other angler has spooked most of the fish for the angler downstream, except under unusual circumstances.

A couple weeks ago I was fishing a limestone stream that has a RR track right beside the stream. I was clipping along nicely and already had 30-some trout and it was only 7:30 in the morning. A fly angler dressed in a white shirt came walking down the RR tracks and went on to fish below me. Just great, I thought.

What this guy didn't realize is that he just ruined my fishing. I caught virtually nothing in the next couple hundred yards of stream, so I left.

I fished three days this week and had my three worst days since April. It was still fun to be out though and there were some high points. Conditions are tough right now. We need rain dearly.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see quite a few fly fishers who fish the same spot for long periods of time; maybe they assume everyone fishes that way too.

I've also had bait and spin fishers cut in front of me, but that has mostly occurred early in the season on stocked streams. I rarely fish stocked streams anymore, especially early in the season.

·
20,190 Posts
Can't say guys cut in front of me very often but I also very rarely fish any popular streams. Typically when I see another fisherman he's just as unhappy to see me and queries off the other way. Most often it's not a fly fisherman.

Good job just finding knee deep water and smacking a few trout around Andy . I think we all get too caught up in the 'nunbers game' and forget that if you're able to find water this time of year and get some trout on the hook that you're probably doing way better than most. A lot of guys wouldn't even have been able to find a place to trout fish today let alone catch 26 trout. Well done!

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, it was tough. A little less than 1/2 of the trout were caught in one hour. The rest of the day was a grind.

Of course, I don't want to see any area get damaged from a tropical storm, but a tropical depression that drops 3-5 inches of rain over a 2-3 day period would be ideal.

I don't see it happening, but we can hope!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good day with the conditions at hand.

I'm coming to the point where if I see fresh looking boot tracks I just jump back in the car and go somewhere else. The time I have to fish is very limited with work ..being gone 2 weeks at a time then home for a week gets old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.