The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brad or anybody else,does anybody know the difference between dwarf essex rape and emperor-brand forage rape?Both sold from PL Rohrer seeds?
Any pros and cons?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Most of the new and improved forage rapes provide more tonnage per acre. Dwarf essex is a "older" style and provides less tonnage per acre.

I used a forage blend last year and was VERY impressed.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Another note, in my experience, it seems deer tend to key in on the dwarf essex rape before other brassicas. I believe it might be due to the snoothe texture of the leaves. It has no "fuzz" on the underside like purple top turnips do or other rapes. It may even be more tender or something. Whatever it is, I've seen them key in on it even within a mixed plot of brassicas.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Hey Rich your PM's are full!

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should be room now Brad.I cleaned the pm's out.
Thanks for the info.To date I've always used the dwarf essex with mostly poor results so this year I'll make the switch.
I'm also going to give some type of rye,pea,and maybe oat plot.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
It seems the deer in yer area are eating it as soon as it comes up, right?

Two things will cure that, make larger plots or kill more deer. LOL

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the fact that they lay off the rape in your mix,until later anyway.The dwarf they hit as soon as it pops up.However our dwarf never seemed to grow well.One mistake we made was not enough urea and we didn't disc it in.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The neighbors do a good job of killing more deer for us.

Sometimes legal sometimes not.When not legal the local WCO gets the call.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Oh yeah, rape/brassicas love nitrogen. Disc it in and seed. Cultipack if you have one. I'm thinking 100 lbs per acre of urea does the trick, maybe a little more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts