The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad made a deal with me that if I made it to states in wrestling, he would take me to Missouri for a turkey hunt. After I made it, he told me that if I placed, he would buy me a new shotgun to take out. I ended up making out pretty good on that deal. We were looking at a couple different guns. My question is, what is the difference between the Mossburg 535 and 835? Or is there any other guns that you would recommend that aren't to expensive?

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Congrats on your trip to states!

I have the 835 ulta-mag. IT IS A TURKEY'S NIGHTMARE! I love that gun.... and for the price, in my opinion, it is one of the best turkey guns available.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Have enjoyed my 835 on several snow goose hunts. Never had any problems except when I short shucked with some 3 1/2" shells. I normally just shoot 3".

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I have a couple mossbergs...but prefer my 870 express mag turkey gun...older model..camo stocks and 21" barrel...small, light and patterns well...

The.mossbergs are thick and bulky IMO....

·
Registered
18,426 Posts
835's are perhaps the best patterning turkey guns out there! The barrels are overbored, I don't believe the 535's are.
I have an 835 and also shoot a Benelli SBE 2. My Mossberg throws better patterns than my Benelli.

Congrats on states!

What did you place and at what weight class?

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Guns are individuals. I have a New England Firearms that patters slightly better than my 500.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
beagler said:
835's are perhaps the best patterning turkey guns out there! The barrels are overbored, I don't believe the 535's are.
I have an 835 and also shoot a Benelli SBE 2. My Mossberg throws better patterns than my Benelli./quote]

This. and congratulations! Beagler and I have about the same setups save for the optics (though I do own a Comp CM-2 M4 sight that sits on my 1300 turkey gun
) The 535 is nothing more than a stretched out model 500 with a standard nominal bore diameter of .729" while the 835 is indeed overbored to .775", or basically to 10 gauge bore diameters. My 835 will also pattern circles around my SBE II. For the money, the 835 will give you better patterns, and LESS RECOIL on it's worst day than an 870 on it's best. Does that mean I'm knocking the 870? No. Not at all. Solid gun and I have owned 6 of them and still own one in 20 gauge that will put up turkey patterns some guys wish they could get with their 12's. What I am saying is that I have never met an 870 that could pattern like an 835...so there's my answer. Get yourself an 835, a choke in the .670 range (and there are MANY that the 835 seems to like) and some heavy shot 6's or 7's (depending on state laws) and go crush a big MO gobbler. Where are you planning to hunt if I may ask? I lived and hunted in MO for 6 years and have hunted quite a bit of the state.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts