The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Do you think there is enough of a difference in recoil to choose the 308 over the 30-06?My son is looking for a new rifle,the 243 seems a little lite but he would like something a little different than the 06!

·
Registered
889 Posts
There is little difference between the two cartridges. The major difference will be in the design of the rifle that you buy. Such as proper fit, weight of rifle, basic design of rifle, and if it is ported or a muzzle brake. Tom.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't think there is enough dofference between the two to make a difference if that is what you are using to choose.

·
Banned
1,072 Posts
Mathews Shooter said:
why not go with the 7-08...
That would be my recommendation for somebody who is a little bit recoil sensitive.

Noticeably lighter recoil than a 30-06 or 308, and a big step up in effectiveness from the 243.

My go-to rifle is a 7mm-08.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
+2 on the 7mm-08 and I don't even own one. I talked my FIL in to buying that caliber over the .243 about 10 years ago; when he wanted to give up the 7mm mag he used for years. It's a sweet cartridge and in my opinion the perfect whitetail cartridge. Having send that, I love the 6.5x55 as well as far as shooting at the range. I don't have any experience with taking game with it yet. Will see this year, its getting the start.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
you can also buy reduced recoil loads in 7mm-o8 ..i had my boys use that the first 2 years of mentor program.they used reg.loads last year.they both worked well.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Don't both Remington and Federal make lower recoil rounds. We're getting ready for my neice to start hunting this year, and thats the plan for her. As your son gets older, he can switch to the regular cartridges.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
You can buy or make loads for either caliber to do exactly as you need done. Low recoil, lightweight varmint, deer, bear, moose or elk loads are all within their means.

One of my Sons started out shooting 130gr bullets loaded to @ 2500fps in his '06. He shot groundhogs for an entire summer with that load and by fall we worked up to about 2900fps then killed his first buck with it the first day of rifle. Now at 14 he uses full house 150gr loads and has no problem shooting tight groups.
Don't worry that those 130gr Hornady SP's are strictly a varmint bullet. My buddy uses them solely out of his .308 and 300Wby Mag. I have yet to find a whitetail that he has shot put up any arguments against their effectiveness.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
yes my sons were 8 and 9 when the got there first bucks.they have each got one the last 3 years .and last year was the first they used the reg .factor 140 grain load ..they handle them fine .i didnt evan tell them last year that i switch them..i do the same in spring gobbler .they pattern 20 ga.low brass and when i take them hunting i stick in 3 inch mags.every turkey they have shot not once did they say the gun hurt them..i pattern the 3 inch loads 2 make sure they were fine..

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
FLDBRED said:
Hey Guys,
Do you think there is enough of a difference in recoil to choose the 308 over the 30-06?My son is looking for a new rifle,the 243 seems a little lite but he would like something a little different than the 06!
In my opinion no.Also the .243 will do just fine!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The 7-08 and 260 are great deer rounds, I lean toward the 260 myself.
If he wants something a little different try getting a a 7x57 Mauser or a 6.5 Swed. these are the traditional equals of the 7-08 and 260. I've killed over 20 deer with either the 260 or the 7x57.

I shoot a 308 M700 and a springfield '06 except for rifle fit and weight, they will recoil almost the same. Shooting 150 grain bullets ineither certainly does reduce recoil compared to the 165/180 gr bullets.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't think I know anyone that even feels recoil when they are shooting at game.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great responses everyone!This is why HPA is the best!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts